Model Cars Magazine Forum

When a hobby goes too far ?

I'm not a religious person or a church goer. But, thats how I feel about my garage. It's my sanctuary. It's where things are saved, put together, kept safe and I can totally be myself, from happy to so mad I have to step away. I'm just not a fan of Wix filters, but this ad really makes sense.

Everyone needs a place to go when they feel the need to get away. It will be different for everyone. For myself its building models. I'm fortunate that I have late model automobiles needing little more than normal maintains. It hasn't always been that way as at times in the past I have spent far to much time in the garage.    

I have several hobbies. At one time I worked on 1:1 old cars, restoring a rather rough '34 Chevy over a period of 8 years. Lotsa "Zen" time there.

Models and woodworking. Same here, great getaways.

A few of us maintain and enjoy a network of snowshoe trails. That is beyond Zen, utterly peaceful & quiet.

Yes, we all need a place to "get away", and often it is the garage. It used to be with me, for sure. I had several cars that I was always working on, a GTO, Mustang, etc. My hobby got me being asked to work on other people's cars, which became a business, and after a couple years, 8 employees. My hobby quickly became work, and no fun. Got old, sore, started to have mechanical problems myself, so I closed the shop, sold all but one of my cars, and moved away...............and never looked back. I have rediscovered the joy of model building, and while I still have all of my mechanics and body tools, lift, and other assorted mechanical stuff, I enjoy FAR more spending time in my basement at my bench building small ones now!

Yes, we all need a place to "get away", and often it is the garage. It used to be with me, for sure. I had several cars that I was always working on, a GTO, Mustang, etc. My hobby got me being asked to work on other people's cars, which became a business, and after a couple years, 8 employees. My hobby quickly became work, and no fun. Got old, sore, started to have mechanical problems myself, so I closed the shop, sold all but one of my cars, and moved away...............and never looked back. I have rediscovered the joy of model building, and while I still have all of my mechanics and body tools, lift, and other assorted mechanical stuff, I enjoy FAR more spending time in my basement at my bench building small ones now!

Same here. It is all I can do todo the maintenance on my two old cars. I caan get down and under but it takes forever to get back up. Same as getting under the dash, it takes 15 minutes only to find out you have the wrong tool. I'm with you for the little ones: !:25 the weight and cost as well. ;)

I also love, I mean love, goin for drives on mountain fire roads and power line access roads. I'm not into the heavy off road, rock crawling stuff, but there's something about the cool, clean air, and sound of nature when I stop to watch and listen. 

The little vehicles I work on give me great mental time. It keeps me on my toes. My styrene hobby is almost like golf, without all the walkin. I love to golf, despite not going in about 5 or 6 years. There's something frustrating, aggrivating, yet relaxing being on the course. I need to dig out the ol clubs and give a go again and go slice it up.