Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors & Model Master Lacquers - no candies?

Has anyone seen any candy or transparent colors from Testors One Shot Lacquers or Model Master Lacquer System?

I have not. I wonder why considering the popularity of candy colors in the hobby?

Is there a chemical reason? Maybe lacquer is a poor paint type for transparent colors?

It maybe that Testors  is doing colors that can be done in just one shot. Candy colors are usually dependent on a base coat of a  high metallic silver or gold, and a transparent color coat of what ever shade you're going for.

Well Testors paints can be made to Transparent colors ANY of them, a known trait they used to advertise, you take the color and thin it right down, The more thinner (Lacquer) you add the more or less transparent they get......... THEN you spray that over a base, of gold or silver, and polish between coats, and once happy lacquer clear coat and your done!

I have NOTHING to do with the company myself, I just have been working with Testors paint most of my life! -And actually is my paint of choice I LOVE working with the stuff.

Candies? I think if you go and go and go, adding a few good cover coats of their list of paints, and high polish between coats to get smoothness, you can get the "candy" look if you "work the paint".

House of Colors makes many wonderful kandy colors.

Yes! I recently tried Brandywine over white primer, and it worked great! This is one of their basecoat Kandies, which I think means that they don't absolutely need a metallic base first... they're a combination of Kandie and Pearl.

Edited by fseva

Yes! I recently tried Brandywine over white primer, and it worked great! This is one of their basecoat Kandies, which I think means that they don't absolutely need a metallic base first... they're a combination of Kandie and Pearl.

do you have pictures? I have some of the Brandywine paint but have been hesitant to use it