Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decal help

sflam123

I'll start this by making sure everyone knows that I am not bashing Slixx decals!!  I love their product.

With that said, I need some help from the forum members.  I have been having difficulty with some Slixx sheets that I bought directly from Slixx about a year ago.  The decals are literally "shattering" when I get them wet and before they even loosen from the paper.  I have used Slixx decals for several years, and I've not had this problem before, so it is probably something I'm doing, but for the life of me I can't figure out what or why.

Here is my procedure:  I run some warm (not hot) water in a glass bowl (cereal sized).  I cut the decal as close to the actual decal as possible from the sheet, place it in the water for about 10-15 seconds (until it is good and wet) place it on a paper towel (face up) for about 2-3 minutes and then check to see if it has loosened from the paper.  This has worked fine for all waterslide decals for years, but the last three Slixx decal sheets I've used the decal will break in to multiple pieces within in a minute or so of me placing it on the paper towel.  I'm open to all thoughts, ideas, criticisms, whatever.  I just want to solve my issue  Thanks in advance for the help!!

Slixx had a bad batch of decals a number of years ago......are your new issue decals or older items. You are doing nothing wrong....the clear carrier was applied wrong....to thick, thin or an issue with type of carrier.  If you just bought them I'd check with Slixx. I've manufactured decals for almost 40 years....happens to the best.