Model Cars Magazine Forum

#43 Rchard Petty Superbird "Petty Blue" paint?

426-Hemi

Guys,

I'm stumped. I know there used to be a whole section of specific "NASCAR" paints made by Testors, locally, NO ONE seems to know what the heck I'm talking about at the stores.... HOWEVER, I've got a street car '70 Superbird, that I want to make a "street legal" Petty car, painted up in Petty Blue, with the top having the vinyl removed as it be a "NASCAR" clone......

Problem being, the Petty Blue paint. can it be gotten still OR has it been put under another name? (Sorry guys, I'm too specific oriented to trust store shelving "paint label" swatches to see or trust which is the correct shade (I've been burnt hard several times with paint and shade by the labels they come with)

Any advice and or help with this would be greatly appreciated as I need some sort of direction.....

Have any models that its been used on? See thats just it, I have to "see" what it looks like. I have to see what that Tamiya blue looks like! It sure looks good on screen, (I looked it up while I was thinkin' what I was gonna reply back to you on it)

Any comparison from the Tamiya TS-10 to the Testors "Petty Blue"????<_<

If you have an airbrush try Gravity Colors http://gravitycolors.com/us/product/petty-blue/

-Yeah I got an air brush.... is that an enamel or Acrylic? -Looks to be an enamel they offer Lacquer thinner for it so..... I'll be looking into that paint! (I see a LOT of colors I'd use!)

Edited by 426-Hemi

-Yeah I got an air brush.... is that an enamel or Acrylic? -Looks to be an enamel they offer Lacquer thinner for it so..... I'll be looking into that paint! (I see a LOT of colors I'd use!)

It is a Base-clear system. Paint goes on semi-gloss and requires a clear topcoat. Dries fast and hard like a lacquer. Everything is pre-mixed ready to spray, no thinning needed. Their 2k clearcoat does require you to mix the activator before you spray, once you mixed the clear you can't leave it or it will harden in the jar. Shipping is very fast.

Btw, they will custom mix a color for you if you don't see it. I just received a custom order last night.

Edited by Mike Chernecki

It is a Base-clear system. Paint goes on semi-gloss and requires a clear topcoat. Dries fast and hard like a lacquer. Everything is pre-mixed ready to spray, no thinning needed. Their 2k clearcoat does require you to mix the activator before you spray, once you mixed the clear you can't leave it or it will harden in the jar. Shipping is very fast.

Btw, they will custom mix a color for you if you don't see it. I just received a custom order last night.

This is AWESOME!!!!! I been a Testors consumer most of my life so I have to ask, does this paint work like the Testors paint or close? (I ask as it looks like a Lacquer system just as Testors is) so. I'd like to try and keep things working the same that way they can be used similarly, even together.....

For instance, Krylon, Does NOT play well with others... SO having said that, I try my best to stay away from the Krylon spray bombs. due to the fact you can't spray it over or spray over it with any other types of spray paint in a can.....

So I like what I see here, I might have to try it!

Tamiya TS-10  TS-23 Light Blue sprayed over Tamiya grey primer. I have used it over white primer but the color really looks best over grey primer. Perfect match for Petty blue. No clear coat required and one of the easiest paints I have found to work with. The camera made the car look much darker than it is in person.

pettytamiyats10_zpspxtnc0po.jpg

Edited by Bill J

This is AWESOME!!!!! I been a Testors consumer most of my life so I have to ask, does this paint work like the Testors paint or close? (I ask as it looks like a Lacquer system just as Testors is) so. I'd like to try and keep things working the same that way they can be used similarly, even together.....

For instance, Krylon, Does NOT play well with others... SO having said that, I try my best to stay away from the Krylon spray bombs. due to the fact you can't spray it over or spray over it with any other types of spray paint in a can.....

So I like what I see here, I might have to try it!

All I can say is give it a try and test on some spoons or scrap bodies to see how it reacts with other paints. 

Tamiya TS-10 sprayed over Tamiya grey primer. I have used it over white primer but the color really looks best over grey primer. Perfect match for Petty blue. No clear coat required and one of the easiest paints I have found to work with.

pettytamiyats10_zpspxtnc0po.jpg

that's a bit too dark. Tamiya has a lighter shade that escapes me now but is pretty close.

• 6 months later...

-I'll be doing a search locally for the Tamiya TS-23 Blue then! Thanks guys (I actually put this model on hold till I located the right "Petty Blue" color to go on my '70 Superbird! 

That model tho is a "Street" car that included the #43 Petty decals, so..... and I have another one, I plan to make a street car so..... I'm good with my choices to make the kit with the decals #43!

• 2 weeks later...

For spray cans, Tamiya is good. If you can't find it, you might also look for Testor's French Blue. Over a light grey primer, it looked pretty close to the paint chip I used to have.

THANKS for that! -I'm glad I made this inquiry, as its returned a few options to doing that model right..... The real question is, what way do I wanna go LOL

Hi, I am the new kid on the block but this post caught my eye . I re painted a Petty '64 Plymouth and also did a new kit, Petty Dodge Dart, and wanted what I think is close to Petty Blue. I always thought that it is an odd shade that seems to have some gray in it. Anyway, I blended my color to match photos from the computer. Since you airbrush, blending paints should be a snap. I have no measurements for my blends. I just keep mixing until I get as close as I can. No two are ever the same. If you get the one you want, make a lot of it.

Hi, I am the new kid on the block but this post caught my eye . I re painted a Petty '64 Plymouth and also did a new kit, Petty Dodge Dart, and wanted what I think is close to Petty Blue. I always thought that it is an odd shade that seems to have some gray in it. Anyway, I blended my color to match photos from the computer. Since you airbrush, blending paints should be a snap. I have no measurements for my blends. I just keep mixing until I get as close as I can. No two are ever the same. If you get the one you want, make a lot of it.

Yup.  Start with something close and keep fiddling with it til it's as right as you think.  Photographs can be color-shifted.  The King himself admits the original was mixed from leftovers.  And the color changed throughout the years.  Pick your car, find a photo and get close to it.  Or get the Martin Senour Basin Street Blue...  If it's not sitting on the hood of the real car, who'se going to say it's not correct?  Unless it is wildly off.  

Randy's right, it isn't the same shade throughout the years.... I've noticed slightly different shades/tones from one year of car to the other, so with the car your doing (mine happens to be a '70 Superbird) so I'm gonna take a picture of that car and do the best I can to match the color of that car in the picture. SO, as Randy said, you do however have to be careful as pictures do fade, and color shift so. Just as computer monitors, color shift, from one to another depending on how the color is set up on the screen itself.

I'm not sure how I'm gonna go as of yet on this car, my posting was simply to get ideas on where to begin for that shade of blue..... And with everyone here at MCM, I got a few choices to choose from! And all of them valid points too!