Model Cars Magazine Forum

The slippery slope of banning donk wheels

Lownslow

Frankly, I don't get too involved in one-make series or spec-racers. They're the ones I usually snooze through...

You want to try the E-Type Challenge or even HRDC Academy, never mind assorted small Lotuses... They aren't the only thing you'd want on the bill at a race day meeting, but it is fantastically competitive racing where driving skills make the difference between podium and tail-ender...

By far the most "pure fun" historic racing I've watched is the pre-66 <2litre class, which is essentially a bunch of Minis vs a bunch of Lotus Cortinas, with the occasional Alfa GTA and BMW2002 thrown in to liven things up... The great thing is that the Minis and Cortina are driven in completely different styles, with the Cortinas going away down the straights, and the Minis getting it all back in the corners. A BMW  has won it the last couple of times I've watched, but it did have Jackie Oliver behind the wheel, and he's got form...

bestest,

M.

By far the most "pure fun" historic racing I've watched is the pre-66 <2litre class, which is essentially a bunch of Minis vs a bunch of Lotus Cortinas, with the occasional Alfa GTA and BMW2002 thrown in to liven things up... The great thing is that the Minis and Cortina are driven in completely different styles, with the Cortinas going away down the straights, and the Minis getting it all back in the corners. A BMW  has won it the last couple of times I've watched, but it did have Jackie Oliver behind the wheel, and he's got form...

bestest,

M.

In 1970, when Road Atlanta began hosting the ARRC (American Road Race of Champions, the season-ender for SCCA) I was heavily involved with building and prepping cars. I remember the C-sedan race was a gaggle of Mini Coopers and a few Alfa GTA Juniors. Great fun, close racing. But it was REAL racing, cars not streetable really, and they were out for blood.

Vintage racing, for me, doesn't have the allure of the genuine article of my remembered glory-days. It's fun to see the old cars run around the track, but more often than not, it's kinda slow old geezers out for a showboat Sunday drive. Not exactly Jackie Oliver...though the last time I attended a vintage event, some of the competitors seemed to take it pretty seriously.

Vintage racing over here shouldn't be affected much, if at all, by the proposed rule, but like I said...the camel's nose is attached to a great smelly camel.

I'd hate to see old Datsun Z-cars, for example, forced to run those awful Zenith-Stromberg emissions carbs, retarded ignition timing and air-pumps...just because that was the EPA-certified setup at the time the cars were manufactured.