Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Chevrolet Bel Air. Something to do during the holliday.

Lovefordgalaxie

More than 20 years sgo, I built a Monogram 1953 Chevy Bel Air. It was my second attempt at rattle can painting, and foiling. The car turned out ok for the time, and I remember using the custom wheels on it, as the kit was incomplete when I got it from another builder. Really have to look for that model. It's inside a box in mu stash, somewhere...

On present day, I decided to build the kit again. I needed something to do during the carnaval holiday, as I'm not a fan of the thing, and what better than building a simple, kit?

Started on Saturday painting the body, and I did it the way it shouldn't be done, I painted the dark color first... I did that because I know that Tamiya TS-14 black dries faster than Tamiya TS-26 Racing White, and I wanted the thing done by today...

Well, the painting went OK, I guess, and while the black was drying I built the engine and interior, all with Tamiya acrylics.

As soon as the black would survive being taped, I painted the roof Racing White. By yesterday It was dry enough to foil. I assembled the entire thing today, and just took some pictures. It's far from being my best job, but I for sure had fun during the carnaval.

Even had time to add some spark plug wires to the "Blue Flame" six. Also added some whitewall tires from my parts box. Really dislike the radials Monogram sends with this kit, and well, dislike radials in general.

Due to the rush, I even painted the Chevy emblem on the hood with the colors inverted... let's pretend its not messed up OK??

Hope you guys like my four day Chevy adventure.

1953 Chevrolet Bel Air by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

Thanks guys!! Very appreciated.

Beautiful job, doesn't look at all rushed! Don't know how you get Tamiya sprays to shine like that without polishing.

Usually I don't have any issues  with Tamiya spray paint, it just comes out pretty shiny, and dried that way. If it's cold tough, let's say below 20 degrees Celsius, it tends to form a slight fogging, so I paint on a heated room when it's cold.

I usually polish Tamiya paint only to remove a eventual dust spec, or little defect. Otherwise, it's not needed. On this Chevy I had to polish the trunk, as a cats hair got it's way into it and left a spot on the still wet paint. The rest of the model wasn't polished, I only waxed it to protect the paint, as I always do.

Wait until you see my 12 hr FORD build,...hehehehe

That black is INSANELY deep...

and,... oh yeah ...

you gotta keep the cats outta the cars Tulio!!

Cheers 

Oh God...:blink:

When you have seven cats, cats hair is on places you couldn't even imagine!! Not to mention I don't even bother buying new sofas... 

I have a collection of those adhesive little rolls to remove cats hair from the clothes before going out!!

Black that deep and no polishing . man . .that is BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks!! Not really a big deal with Tamiya spray paint. 

On the Build by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

On the Build by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

Also, I never use primer with Tamiya spray paint. Only if it's metallic, and the plastic is not white.