Model Cars Magazine Forum

BMW Z4 GTE

Jhedir6

This is a kit review for the new BMW Z4 GTE transkit from MSHOBBIES for use with Fujimi's BMW Z4 GT3 kit. The kit is mastered and produced by Joe Vondracek of Quickskins in conjunction with Mark Palacz of MSHOBBIES.

You can purchase the kit from http://www.mshobbies.com/ for $50.00 US plus shipping.

What's in the box. This is a seven piece TK, with a new GTE body, front and rear diffusers and 2 front and 2 rear rims(wheels).

010_zpscu2tfqrm.jpg

The kit DOES NOT include decals but you can get various sets from http://members.optusnet.com.au/pattosplace/home.html , just look under "B" for BMW and scroll down to the BMW Z4 decals and pick from the large number he has available. Studio 27 and Racing43 also carry decals for various different liveries for the BMW Z4, most are for GT3 models, but would likely fit this TK without issues.

001_zps5tni3mec.jpg

The resin is smooth and well detailed. There is minimal flash and virtually no imperfections, I found one small pinhole on the bottom of mine that can easily be fixed. The details are crisp and the kit will require no more clean up or prep than a mass produced injection molded kit. The resin is thin (only slightly thicker than the Fujimi BMW), and flexible yet strong. The front and rear diffusers are thin and flexible and have great detail as well. The rims are perfect looking with some flash in the spokes to clean up, but its thin and easily removed.

Top:

009_zpsit7jxuz1.jpg

Inside:

011_zps24j7edpm.jpg

Front:

005_zpsbgilds3g.jpg

Sides:

006_zpstnr4uxdd.jpg

004_zpsz1rtvumd.jpg

Rear:

007_zps51bxcmyn.jpg

Included with the kit, some simplified direction sheets

Typed directions:

012_zps60reokwo.jpg

Reference photos for replacing the stock diffusers with the GTE diffusers.

013_zpsytrm1lpk.jpg

Reference photo for separating the one piece stock windows into separate pieces for the TK.

014_zpsk75tbcxm.jpg

Without having yet started this kit I very impressed with the overall quality and accuracy thus far. There are only two minor things I'd would of like to of seen done differently. First, on the instruction photo for removing the diffusers I would of like to of seen measurements added to the photo's to show how much material to cut out in mm. Just to make things a bit easier on the builder. Secondly, on the Fujimi kit, the rear brake duct cooling vents just infront of the rear wheels are open, but on the TK they are closed off. You can see the them on the outer surface of the resin and they can be opened up if the builder choses, but I would of preferred to of seen them casted opened. Neither of these things takes away at all from the over all quality and value of this trans kit. I am extremely satisfied with my purchase and look forward to getting some time to start building this kit.

David

Edited by Jhedir6