Model Cars Magazine Forum

`67 Camaro RS/SS NICKEY-Revell

69NovaYenko

Gee, do you rivet counters go around popping little kids balloons at birthday parties? Lol. I'm just glad the model companies give us brand new kits to build, even with some of the errors. In light of our hobby declining (especially among younger people),its a welcome addition to all of our growing stashes. :)

Well, I'm going to be the mean guy in the room and say if something isn't right, it's not right. Shrinking demographics notwithstanding, kits are costing too much to have things not "look right" and have to go back and fix it. Sure I could fix what's wrong------and do it without expensive computers and blueprints. I really shouldn't have to though when said kits are costing $25+ a pop, and I haven't even gotten to the detail stuff I may want to get for it yet. :blink: 

Obviously, there's no perfect kit, but Revell has been missing the mark too much lately with errors that shouldn't get past the folks that ostensibly know what they're doing. 

All the more I'm glad about the growing popularity of 3D printing where who knows............we might just bypass the kit manufacturers someday with making our own parts and even kits that us "rivet counters" know will be correct. 

OK, rant over------back to our regularly scheduled program. ;)

Well, I'm going to be the mean guy in the room and say if something isn't right, it's not right. Shrinking demographics notwithstanding, kits are costing too much to have things not "look right" and have to go back and fix it. Sure I could fix what's wrong------and do it without expensive computers and blueprints. I really shouldn't have to though when said kits are costing $25+ a pop, and I haven't even gotten to the detail stuff I may want to get for it yet. :blink: 

Obviously, there's no perfect kit, but Revell has been missing the mark too much lately with errors that shouldn't get past the folks that ostensibly know what they're doing. 

All the more I'm glad about the growing popularity of 3D printing where who knows............we might just bypass the kit manufacturers someday with making our own parts and even kits that us "rivet counters" know will be correct. 

OK, rant over------back to our regularly scheduled program. ;)

+1. I'm with you. At least on this one. For another kit (a subject I care less about than I do first-gen Camaros), I might be siding with Mr. Impala. B)

I received my copy of this kit the other day . Its shortcomings aside , it looks beautiful ! My only complaint --and it's so minimal in the scheme of things-- is that the engine accessories / drive belt arrangement is still hampered with that ( explaitive deleted ) A.I.R. Pump !  I really wish that Revell would have tooled-up a new , correct setup , especially since they tooled-up a new induction , and tooled-up headers !

Kudos to whom-ever built the box art kit ; they painted the engine yellow ! Just like the original Bill Thomas Racing 427 was painted in late '66 for the first NicKey Camaro prototype !

Greg does the decal sheet have the white stripes for the interior seats?

No the Revell kit decals do not include the deluxe interior seat stripes (the OEM strip color chooses were white or black).  However, I was able to acquire the interior front/back seat strips from the Keith Marks  `67  Camaro SS decal sheet. But good gracious they are FRAGILE to work with..my advise is to get more than on set. Also, specify which color (black or white) you want.

http://public.fotki.com/mofobow/chevy/camaro/67_camaro_ss/67_camaro_ss_black_a.html

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Does this version have both the Stinger Hood, and the SS/RS Hood ? 

Unlike the (misnamed) COPO Nova and the ZL1 Camaro  , this kit is sans extra parts . Just the Stinger hood only (which is a nice piece , by the way) . I , too , was hoping for some extra parts ; the aforementioned kits have some great parts box additions (or , in the case of the '69 427 Camaro that I'm eventually going to build , the RS grille and tail lamps / back-up lamps will find their way onto "my" version of an L71 or L72 ).

Arrgh, not what i wanted to hear. now to build a SS/RS, I gotta buy both kits, or a resin piece. 

I think that it's more by happenstance that this NicKey-specific version is "lacking" the stock SS parts , as the NicKey parts are on their own separate "trees" . On the positive side , this version includes the Deluxe Interior (standard RS trim ?) and other RS-specific parts . So , unless you want to replicate an RS/SS-350 version , all you'll need to acquire is the hood from the SS kit (I'm sure that some-one will be happy to trade the Stinger hood for the standard SS hood ...)

Not that same tired argument again...barf.  The 'rainbows and unicorns' crowd (the other side of the coin from the 'rivet counters') can't accept any criticism and blindly accept mediocrity.

To quote Sgt. Hulka from the movie Stripes,"Lighten up Francis". I was joking around, to each their own. You buy and build what want,its just a hobby.

Decals # 19 , 20 , 21 , and 22 are the seat insets  ; the Deluxe Interior stripes ! For what-ever reason , only the instructions *indicate* their locations . But , they're there !

In an earlier statement I said I had only quickly peeked at the Nickey kit contents. However, after a further look, thanks to 1972cornet post, we discovered you are correct; the " Deluxe Interior stripes" are included on the decal sheet.  What strike me as odd though is Revell opted to print them as "white strip" against a black insert (Decals # 19 , 20 , 21 , and 22).  So if one opts to use the inserts provided in the kit you are locked into painting the interior (at least the front/back seats themselves ) black. If the insert had been "CLEAR" the builder would then have had the flexibility color chose of the seats.  Additionally, the exclusion of the "black strip" option again  limits the builders seat color options; which is unfortunate. The Keith Makers decal set which can be ordered with either black or white strips and has no per-colored insert allows the builder far greater seat color options. IMHO.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I wonder if the accompanying black insets were either :

- A compromise ( i.e. , instead of supplying just the white stripes )

- A "support" for the stripes ( they would probably be a big pain to align and place if they were sans the "support" )

The latter of my hypothesis still supports your assertion that they could have / should have been clear / trasnleucent .