Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good bottle paints for those tricky colors...

Hi all,

While I'm enjoying Tamiya and Vallejo, what do you like for colors like yellow, white and any other hard to brush paint colors that I haven't touched on?

I'm finding that having an array of tools at my disposal lends to a smoother building experience.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

While I'm enjoying Tamiya and Vallejo, what do you like for colors like yellow, white and any other hard to brush paint colors that I haven't touched on?

I'm finding that having an array of tools at my disposal lends to a smoother building experience.

Thanks in advance.

In my experience, neither of these colors is suitable for brushing on a large area (such as a whole interior, engine, etc), only for details.

That said, a FRESH bottle of good old Testor Flat White isn't too bad for detailing. An opened or partially used bottle, not so much.

For yellow, I use whatever bottle of Model Master "chrome" or "insignia" yellow I have on hand for my airplane modeling. But I don't use much of it on car details, truth be told. If I have to brush it, it's best over a primer of flat white.

In my experience, neither of these colors is suitable for brushing on a large area (such as a whole interior, engine, etc), only for details.

That said, a FRESH bottle of good old Testor Flat White isn't too bad for detailing. An opened or partially used bottle, not so much.

For yellow, I use whatever bottle of Model Master "chrome" or "insignia" yellow I have on hand for my airplane modeling. But I don't use much of it on car details, truth be told. If I have to brush it, it's best over a primer of flat white.

I agree.

Just good old fashioned Testors "flat" paints are a good place to start.

Flat paints will give you a more uniform finish with less brush marks than gloss paints.

You can always gloss over them if you want a shiney finish.

Steve

I agree.

Just good old fashioned Testors "flat" paints are a good place to start.

Flat paints will give you a more uniform finish with less brush marks than gloss paints.

You can always gloss over them if you want a shiney finish.

Steve

I'm finding Vallejo white lays down a bit bitter then Tamiya flat white.

I'm finding Vallejo white lays down a bit bitter then Tamiya flat white.

I use brush paints very sparingly on my projects.

Almost everything is either shot with a spray can or an air brush.

I rarely brush paint anything larger than an oil filter or radiator cap.

Athough, with annual chassis you really have no choice but to brush paint things like exhaust & fuel tanks, unless you want to spend a whole lot of time masking. :)

Steve

I use brush paints very sparingly on my projects.

Almost everything is either shot with a spray can or an air brush.

I rarely brush paint anything larger than an oil filter or radiator cap.

Athough, with annual chassis you really have no choice but to brush paint things like exhaust & fuel tanks, unless you want to spend a whole lot of time masking. :)

Steve

I like brush painting interiors, under carriages, wheels, engines etc...

If I was good enough, I'd brush paint bodies!

If you can find them, Pollyscale reefer colors. Testor's yanked Pollyscale from the marketplace recently, and everyone around here sold out, but you could get lucky.

Very cool.  Thanks for the tip!

Is Floquil the same thing?

Edited by aurfalien

I can only speak about White, but I've gone through a few choices and have found that Lifecolor is the best - they make a flat and a gloss, and they're the only ones I'll use for brush painting. Same goes for 3 blacks (matt, satin, gloss). BTW, I really love Lifecolor's paint packaging... they have a small round "plug" molded into the cap, that keeps most of the paint away from the rim when you shake the jar. I usually work right out of this little "dimple" - it's like a little palette. Sure wish Testors would upgrade their stuff.

Edited by fseva

I can only speak about White, but I've gone through a few choices and have found that Lifecolor is the best - they make a flat and a gloss, and they're the only ones I'll use for brush painting. Same goes for 3 blacks (matt, satin, gloss). BTW, I really love Lifecolor's paint packaging... they have a small round "plug" molded into the cap, that keeps most of the paint away from the rim when you shake the jar. I usually work right out of this little "dimple" - it's like a little palette. Sure wish Testors would upgrade their stuff.

Great tip.

I'm on it.

Very cool.  Thanks for the tip!

Is Floquil the same thing?

Floquil was the main line of paints for The Floquil Corp. before they were sold to Testors. It was their solvent-based paint... guess you could have referred to them as "enamels" - they were all flat. Several companies have been in the process of releasing replacements: Tru-Color Paint, Micro-Mark, and even Testors has brought some of the generic colors back under either the Testors or Model Master brands.