Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Ford Roadster - Dan Gurney - Bonneville 1950

Phildaupho

This model is a tribute to Dan Gurney’s first sanctioned competition drive in his friend Skip Hudson’s ‘29 Ford at Bonneville in 1950. If you want to learn more about the real car and model build details please see my On The Workbench posts

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/105810-29-ford-channelled-over-deuce-frame-under-glass/

DSCN2902DSCN2903DSCN2904DSCN2905DSCN2906DSCN2907DSCN2908

Briefly I channeled the Revell ‘29 Roadster over the kit Deuce frame. It now has a Model-A rear cross-member supporting a buggy sprung quickchange rear-end. The flathead engine is from the Revell ‘48 Ford Coupe with the three-carb set up and front cover from the ’32 Sedan. The blue is a blend of Testor’s enamels – Arctic Blue metallic and Pontiac Engine Blue. The interior is Tamiya Racing White and Flat Clear. The side numbers are hand painted acrylic flat white on clear decal film. The tonneau cover is painted masking tape. The license and club plaque are internet images. It appears license plates were much wider in 1950.

I eventually plan to convert the model to street trim as it appeared on the first color cover of Hot Rod – April 1951.

Great work!

I particularly like the hood latches--where did those come from?

The latches came from my spare parts box but I am pretty sure they were from a Revell tube-frame era Camaro TranAm racecar kit. They sort of capture the look of lunch box latches which were commonly used on hot-rod hoods.