Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelhaus '69 Road Runner 6-BBL conversion

Got my Modelhaus order today. Many people here wonder what their parts are like. Here is their conversion  for Jo Han's 1969 Plymouth Road Runner, to make it into a 440 6-BBL car. This is the kit without tires. Note the factory style interior, but that the sides have been cast separately (probably to facilitate pulls out of the mold). 

I can't speak 100% for the accuracy of these parts, but to me, they look good. I'm not crazy about the wheels- I think Jo Han's steel wheels (that came in their '68 Plymouth Police car and other kits) look more the part of Mopar steelies. If I had to guess, these look like they're based on something else, perhaps from an AMT kit? Like their '58 Chevy?

These castings are really nice quality, it looks like it would not take too much at all to clean them up and use them. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

I agree with you, those wheels aren't as "Mopar-y" as the ones in the '68 Fury cop car.

I'm planning to do one of these conversions, but I think I'll just order the hood and paint the kit interior black and live with it. Thanks again!

Just going to add my 2 cents worth. ANYTHING you get from Modelhaus will be the best molds you will be able to get from the time the molds were done. I will say with Don's announced retirement date he may be so busy casting just to keep up, rather than doing new molds If the retirement date was not an issue, I honestly think some molds would be updated if he had a few more years to recoup the cost of new masters. But I am buying as much of his products as I have the funds to (probably more than!!!). I sure wish I had a valid reason for him to continue!!

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

I agree with you, those wheels aren't as "Mopar-y" as the ones in the '68 Fury cop car.

I'm planning to do one of these conversions, but I think I'll just order the hood and paint the kit interior black and live with it. Thanks again!

No Problem, Snake!!!

I will say with Don's announced retirement date he may be so busy casting just to keep up, rather than doing new molds If the retirement date was not an issue, I honestly think some molds would be updated if he had a few more years to recoup the cost of new masters. But I am buying as much of his products as I have the funds to (probably more than!!!). I sure wish I had a valid reason for him to continue!!

There was a small note enclosed with my order, stating that as molds wear out, they will be discontinuing some parts and kits. Makes sense, as they are winding it down. I have a few more orders I want to send myself!!!

While I would like to order more kits/parts from Modelhaus, I know that they would just end up on my "build pile" and it would be "iffy" if I ever used them. Guess that I'm pretty well saturated with kits both resin & plastic, that I'm tryin' to buy as little as possible in the future as I'm not a fast builder.  I seem to have a lot of other things goin' on as well as model cars.

I have also used Modelhaus bodies and other conversion parts and have never been less than 100 % pleased with them. The interior looks great, but I wonder about the holes in the floor. Are they maybe for mounting bucket seats ? The wheels look more like a standard  wheel that would have a hub cap covering it. The suggestion of the "police" style wheel would make the most sense. The pictures I have seen of restored 1:1 cars have a wheel with the vents as seen on those wheels.    

Parts look great,as usual for Modelhaus, but where is the 69 RR grill? It was different than the 68 RR and 69 GTX. When we did our 69 RR 440-6 conversion we put the center of a JoHan 69 grill in an AMT 69 grill frame. I sent all of our masters to Perry's resin, so I don't know about the availability nowadays.

Parts look great,as usual for Modelhaus, but where is the 69 RR grill? It was different than the 68 RR and 69 GTX. When we did our 69 RR 440-6 conversion we put the center of a JoHan 69 grill in an AMT 69 grill frame. I sent all of our masters to Perry's resin, so I don't know about the availability nowadays.

Scott, This conversion is for the Johan 1969 Roadrunner, not the AMT 1968 Roadrunner, no need for the grille. I have this conversion kit as well and it is a beauty.  

Scott, This conversion is for the Johan 1969 Roadrunner, not the AMT 1968 Roadrunner, no need for the grille. I have this conversion kit as well and it is a beauty.  

Ahh, answers my question. Guess I should read!

Edited by OutaFocus

• 10 months later...

I don't think so.   Hart's Parts Resin makes a bench seat for the 69 Johan Roadrunner I believe and makes a 440+6 Hood for the AMT 69 GTX KIT.   Fireball Modelworks makes the wheels.   I have a set of his wheels for a 69 GTO Judge and the quality is first class.    

Edited by drodg