Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 BMW 507 Coupé

Plastheniker

Hi,

After three months in the Big Rigs sub-forum I started to dust some further old car builds. This 507 is the first.

Looking back the 507 could be regarded as BMW's answer to the 300 SL: equally spectacular, equally expensive, equally rare

Most contemporaries in the fifties, however, thought that the 507 was no real match to the 300 SL. Though a fast car in those days it was technically rather simple, lacked power, and BMW's image was poor by comparison. Therefore the 507 was no sales success, only 252 vehicles were built.

Nevertheless some of the rich and famous preferred the 507. Elvis Presley e. g. drove a 507 during his military service in Germany. He took it to America where it was found a few years ago. It was shipped back to Bavaria and to my knowlwdge it is still under restoration. A final sales price of two million Euro is expected.

My old instruction sheet says that Revell released the kit in 1992. After more than 20 years I still remember that there were no major issues except the poor fit of the hardtop. Nevertheless, if there should be any reissue of the 507, make sure that it can be built as a coupe. The roadster is only half as beautiful.

Lovely job... it is one of the most beautiful cars I know, and one of Revell's finest kits.

I just wish I could have found a kit with the real hardtop rather than having to convert the soft hood... 

BTW -- it looks like you have the fuel filler on the rear deck as in the original kit. The John Surtees car has it in the right rear fender, just above the wheel arch. Is that a one-off, or did BMW move it at some point, do you know?

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

I built this one waaaay back in the early '90's, and it didn't look nearly as nice as this one! :wub:

BEAUTIFUL job on her Jürgen! While I like the 300SL as well, I do agree that the BMW looks just a bit better style wise. I would take either one though as something I'd LOVE to own, but they're waaay outta my price range! Model kits will have to do!

Incidentally, I have another one of these from Revell of Germany-----the original one got damaged in a move years ago, so the one I have is the roadster. I did keep the hardtop from the old kit build so if I ever build another, I can display it with either or. ;)

Thanks for all comments!

The 507 has a light-weight, slender look which I personally prefer to the 300SL. I saw one in Winterthur a couple of years ago, a dream in white!

Since there are only 70 vehicles still existing this might be the same car:

The only 507 I ever saw was a turquoise-metallic roadster at the Technik Museum Sinsheim maybe 20 or 30 years ago. I found this probably non-original colour not convincing to say the least.

... BTW -- it looks like you have the fuel filler on the rear deck as in the original kit. The John Surtees car has it in the right rear fender, just above the wheel arch. Is that a one-off, or did BMW move it      at some point, do you know?

bestest,

M.

The first 43 cars were called "Serie 1" and always had round filler inlet compartment lids on top of the rear deck as seen on Revell's model.

Production of "Serie 2" started on March 1957. All "Serie 2" cars had rectangular filler inlet compartment lids in the right rear fender.

I suppose the reason for this modifiction was that removing the petrol nozzle after filling the tank was difficult without spilling fuel on the rear deck.

...  While I like the 300SL as well, I do agree that the BMW looks just a bit better style wise. I would take either one though as something I'd LOVE to own, but they're waaay outta my price range! Model kits will have to do! ...

I suppose this is a problem that most of us have. :(

So if a good fairy should ever promise me a 507 or 300 SL, no matter if with or without hardtop, I would not be fastidious. :lol: