Model Cars Magazine Forum

holley #4160 carb.??

The most popular Holley carburators are the 4150 series, the 4160 series and the 4500 "Dominator" series, and they all look different.
The Glidden T-Bird and all other Pro Stock and Pro Sportsman kits from Revell has Holley 4500 Dominators and they are too large, many use them on all kinds of drag racing cars and other race car models but Dominators are not allowed in Super Stock.

Most of the Revell carburators are not that good and lacks detail, almost none of them has any venturi detail at all except for the Dominators.
But the best 4160 carbs with good venturi detail I have seen so far in a kit is from the AMT 60 Ford Galaxie Starliner Custom or 2 'n 1 kit, and decent 4160's in the AMT 66 Ford Fairlane and 67 Mercury Comet kits.
Calnaga Castings also has some 4160 carburators in resin, they are labeled as Holley 650's.

Edited by Force

The most popular Holley carburators are the 4150 series, the 4160 series and the 4500 "Dominator" series, and they all look different.
The Glidden T-Bird and all other Pro Stock and Pro Sportsman kits from Revell has Holley 4500 Dominators and they are too large, many use them on all kinds of drag racing cars and other race car models but Dominators are not allowed in Super Stock.

Most of the Revell carburators are not that good and lacks detail, almost none of them has any venturi detail at all except for the Dominators.
But the best 4160 carbs with good venturi detail I have seen so far in a kit is from the AMT 60 Ford Galaxie Starliner Custom or 2 'n 1 kit, and decent 4160's in the AMT 66 Ford Fairlane and 67 Mercury Comet kits.
Calnaga Castings also has some 4160 carburators in resin, they are labeled as Holley 650's.

I'm not a carb nerd or detail freak, but I recognize that this is an EXCELLENT post with lot of great information for those who are. Thanks for sharing this!

thanks  all.. force I will check them out.. force have you started on your resin one yet??  oldr-n-drt

No I haven't yet...but one of these days...maybe. ;)

I'm not a carb nerd or detail freak, but I recognize that this is an EXCELLENT post with lot of great information for those who are. Thanks for sharing this!

You're welcome.
Me neither but it depends on what you want to use the carbs for, if you are going to have an air cleaner the carb don't have to have much detail as most of the carb it is hidden under the air cleaner, but if you want to do for example a race car with a naked carburator the style and venturi detail is very important for the right look.

Edited by Force

The Calnaga carb to me is the most detailed available of that model.  The shortcoming seems to be in the venturi area but there are ways to detail those.  You can go PE linkage as well.

I have a set of those and I really haven't seen better.  

Maybe someone out there 3-D prints them.

thanks force.. that is what I want to do.. show carbs without the air cleaner.... oldr-n-drt

I suspected that as you are doing a 1968 BO29 Hemi Barracuda , and the best looking 4160 Series Holley's I have seen so far is in the AMT 60 Starliner Custom or 2'n1 kits, they are molded in pair so you have to cut them appart...these carbs have even better venturi detail than the Calnaga Castings ones, but I haven't seen anyone casting them in resin yet.

Edited by Force