Model Cars Magazine Forum

tamiya two tone

The Desoto is a great kit James!

But how are you 2-toning it?

The only availible "stock" 2-tone was a different color on the top.

Depending on the colors your using, there might be a simple solution.

White for the top was a very common color for almost all primary body colors.

If white is your top color, I do a lot of builds with white primer over all & then mask the top & paint the body color.

Then I just clear coat right over the white primer for the white top.

I'd be interested to hear what colors you're planning on.

I've always wanted to do a '60 Desoto in "Petal Pink" & "Terra-cotta".

Although I think those were Chrysler colors & not necessarily availible on the Desoto.

Steve

Steve: My plan is white for the top, and a light blue for the rest of the body.  Didn't think of just clear coating the primer (slaps top of head), instead I primed with white and hit it with a coat of Tamiya Pure White.  The bottom of the body will be Tamiya TS58 Pearl Light Blue.  I recently completed an AMT '68 Camaro this color blue, and it has a sort of VERY slight purple tint to it.  After purchasing the Desoto I read where in late '59 a color called Bradenton Blue was offered for Desotos, and it was described as having a slight purplish hue.  At any rate, I thought the white and blue would be pleasing, and I'll probably do a charcoal interior following Desoto patterns.  As you probably surmised by now, I'm not going for the factory original look--I'm also thinking chrome wheels--but maybe more of a subtle period street rod.

I think Petal Pink and Terra Cotta sounds pretty cool--the perfect color combo for the era!

Jim

Sounds like a nice combo James.

I actually did a google search & found a 1959 Desoto color chip chart that included the "spring color" "Bradenton Blue".

Looks like a beautiful color!

I hope we all get to see it when it's finished.

I used a similar 1959 Cadillac color called "Argyle Blue" on a '58 Ford a while back that had a purple tint, although not as much as the "Bradenton Blue".

Should be a real eye catcher!

Steve

When spraying Tamiya lacquer, I wait 15-20 minutes between coats. But I wait 7 days before spraying the second color on 2-tone jobs. After 30 minutes, the paint may appear dry, but it has not cured, That can take up to a week. If you spray a second coat sooner, you run the risk of the second color getting hairline cracks in it as the first color shrinks some during curing. (Of course, using a food dehydrator can speed up the process during drying/curing - your mileage may vary.)

As for masking over Tamiya paint, pull the tape off as soon as possible after spraying the final coat of the second color. (Usually 15-30 minutes for me.) I have seen the glue in tapes react with the paint, causing a discoloration after leaving the tape on overnight.