Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any better idea how to remove Tamiya TS-XX paints?

Hey guys here again.  I've got some OCD that I cannot accept some small mistakes on the car body so I got plenty of them waiting to be remove the paints.

I usually use Tamiya spray can as TS-XX. I know how to remove them, use GAIA T-11S, it's kind of paint remover. But the q is, it only 250ml for each also expensive.

So you guys know how to remove this paints? all I know, TS-XX belongs to lacquers. I did some search that oven cleaner can remove paints but it seems doesn't work on lacquers...

My thanks in advance.:D

Hey guys here again.  I've got some OCD that I cannot accept some small mistakes on the car body so I got plenty of them waiting to be remove the paints.

I usually use Tamiya spray can as TS-XX. I know how to remove them, use GAIA T-11S, it's kind of paint remover. But the q is, it only 250ml for each also expensive.

So you guys know how to remove this paints? all I know, TS-XX belongs to lacquers. I did some search that oven cleaner can remove paints but it seems doesn't work on lacquers...

Have you tried alcohol? 

Have you tried alcohol? 

91% or higher ISOPROPYL alcohol is said to be effective on some lacquers. It's really really cheap over here, and is available in grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.

70%, common "rubbing alcohol", is a good cleaner, but it doesn't have much effect on paints.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

yeah. but it doesn't work on TS-XX paints at all.

I also tried some DOT3 break oil. some brand just to slow and some brand doesn't even work at all.:(

I use 91% Isopropyl alcohol on my Tamiya TS (Or Testor Lacquer) and it works fine.  Immersion for a few hours gets it to slough off.  Primer is a little tougher.

91% isopropyl alcohol works. The paint won't just fall off after a short time though. I usually let it soak for a couple of days and scrape it off, usually with a small flat piece of wood. The wood doesn't make blemishes on the plastic. Then I use a stiff bristle toothbrush to get the paint out of the hard to remove spots. I use Tamiya primer on the bodies and it's very difficult to remove. When I get to that point, I sand it smooth and prime again.

91% isopropyl alcohol works. The paint won't just fall off after a short time though. I usually let it soak for a couple of days and scrape it off, usually with a small flat piece of wood. The wood doesn't make blemishes on the plastic. Then I use a stiff bristle toothbrush to get the paint out of the hard to remove spots. I use Tamiya primer on the bodies and it's very difficult to remove. When I get to that point, I sand it smooth and prime again.

thanks Tom. I found out that this staff 'isopropyl alcohol' works but not alcohol...

thank you Richard. Not really that sure how to find a similar staff in China.. guess I have to do some search ^_^ 

Look for sodium hydroxide as the active ingredient.

FWIW, I haven't had much luck with lye removing TS sprays, but DOT3 brake fluid has worked for me in the past.