Model Cars Magazine Forum

No Metal Axle In The Kit

steelhead26

Hi Guys, Was just doing some work on my Labonte car and realized that instructions call for a metal axle. There is none in the box, not sure if it wasn't packaged or if I lost it. Just wanted to see if you guys have any tips or tricks if this has ever happened to any of you.

Thanks

Joe

I've found brass tube works well. If it's a bit tight I'll drill the wheel out. If it's too loose, drill wheel out for next size up tube and slip the tube you started with in. Lately I seem to be replacing all wheel mounting with short pieces of brass, aluminum or plastic rod. Some combination work for putting any wheel on any axle, so you should be able to get something that works.

Edited by Foxer

I had a 55 Chevy Truck where the metal axle was too short. I ended up making one out of a kebab stick (basically a really long toothpick). I had to sand it down a bit and cut the ends to fit, but it cost me nothing since I had it sitting around and it's held up fine.

Never thought of that MrBuick, I do have a box of those somewhere. That would be a ton of sanding like you said.

It did need some sanding, but it probably only took 10 minutes. I just took some 80 grit and wrapped it around the wood and spun it, then smoothed it out a bit when it was near the correct size. 

I've had this happen and was able to replace the metal axle with a plastic rod. Hollow out the wheels where the rod is inserted to accept the thickness of the plastic part, glue one side in place then slide it through and then glue it to the other wheel. It should be fine.