Model Cars Magazine Forum

Least favorite?

Hey everybody, just curious what your least favorite car/truck is? Not looking for "I don't like anything that's not made by ____", but do you have a particular reason for not liking "Brand X"? Or better yet, is there a specific year or model of car that you thought a manufacturer completely laid an egg on?

Aztec probably gets the prize for ugliest design ever... but that's not quite the same as "least favorite" car. ;)

To the OP's question of a manufacturer "laying an egg," I nominate the Cadillacs with the V8-6-4 variable displacement system. Or the Aspens and Volares that rusted through a week after you brought them home.

To the OP's question of a manufacturer "laying an egg," I nominate the Cadillacs with the V8-6-4 variable displacement system.

Harry, I'd have to top that with GM's miserable attempt at a Diesel engine from the late '70's, early '80's! Untold numbers of cars that had to be converted back to regular gas engines (if the owner even bothered), due to the engine blocks cracking after only 50,000 miles or less. In Cadillac's case, this was woeful along with the terrible V8-6-4 system. :o 

The Diesels were so bad, I literally can't remember the last time I've seen (or better yet heard) one on the road. 

Harry, I'd have to top that with GM's miserable attempt at a Diesel engine from the late '70's, early '80's! Untold numbers of cars that had to be converted back to regular gas engines (if the owner even bothered), due to the engine blocks cracking after only 50,000 miles or less. In Cadillac's case, this was woeful along with the terrible V8-6-4 system. :o 

The Diesels were so bad, I literally can't remember the last time I've seen (or better yet heard) one on the road. 

I owned one of those sorry diesels. Olds Delta 88 sedan, not sure of the year anymore. The previous owner buggered the dash so bad you had to go through a Batman style routine to start it. It did not work the normal way through the ignition switch. Turn key to ON position, flip glow plug toggle, flip fuel pump toggle, turn key to crank engine, and when started flip glow plug toggle to OFF. Woe be to the person who would forget that sequence. Of course no one could steal the car, and believe me they tried.

Aztec probably gets the prize for ugliest design ever... but that's not quite the same as "least favorite" car. ;)

To the OP's question of a manufacturer "laying an egg," I nominate the Cadillacs with the V8-6-4 variable displacement system. Or the Aspens and Volares that rusted through a week after you brought them home.

As a side bar to your Cadillac V8-6-4 engine Harry, my dad was a project engineer for a large specialty machine design company in those days, he was in charge of a group that had the "pleasure" of designing the machine that cast the blocks for those engines. I remember him coming home right after he found out his company had "won" the contract saying "that engine will never work, but if GM wants a machine, we'll build them a machine". It didn't take long for them to start sticking in odd number configurations and they all had to be recalled!

2015 Nissan Juke Brings More Standard Features, More LEDs, More Colors, and the Same Weirdness

Yet, these things are all over the roads!

I work with someone that has (had) one----unfortunately (for him) he wrecked it the other morning on the way to work on our endlessly slick roads here in Central PA. He was OK.....not a scratch, but from what he mentioned about the wreck, the Juke was totaled.

He apparently loved it, but I could never get used to the styling of this thing. Too many conflicting styling cues on it. What is it supposed to be exactly?? A car, Crossover, or.........???

Much as the styling of the Juke initially made me want to puke, I'm beginning to feel kinda sorry for the poor things.

I'm thinking the intent was to design a car that was as non-carlike as humanly possible, and so to appeal to the legions of people who see and dislike the whole idea of cars as macho symbolism, but who need transportation. The people I know who own them would seem to back up my psychobabble theory. 

Anyway, they look like frogs. How can you hate a cute little frog?

1944h4h2niw2rjpg.jpg        Image result for green frog

The Aztek on the other hand...yuck.

But neither of them can hold a candle to the all-time champion of automotive ugly...

edtrghdfgdfdgfdsfdsfsdfsdfs.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

If I remember correctly, weren't those just a gas engine converted to the poor excuse of a diesel they were to begin with? 

I think the Nissan Juke has top honours now. 

I believe there's a typo in your post.

It's a Nissan Joke. :lol:

I believe there is a typo in both of your posts, it should start with the letter "P"! :lol:

Speaking of vomit inducing designs, and since I'm a trucker, a brainless wonder in the Peterbilt design group turned this

into this hideous thing that looks like a football helmet in the early 90s. Cabover trucks were never meant to be aerodynamic!!

OK, obviously I'm missing your point. To me, that's a pretty good looking truck.

It must just be a trucker thing, the truckers I'm friends with all think that truck is ugly with a capital UGLY! :lol: At least for my personal tastes, this is a pretty good looking truck, because it is my other daily driver. :D

This is an even prettier truck because it has more chrome goodies, and yes, another former daily driver. :)

And this one is one you'd love more than a woman! No, this wasn't one of my driver's, even though I know the owner and did try to steal it a time or too! :lol:

1988-1993 Pontiac (Daewoo) Le Mans. What a disgrace to a classic name.

X2!! I had the displeasure of driving one of those as a rental car to the dealership to pick up my mom's car for her from the shop. It had a hard time outrunning a snail!

I agree with you Matt. Pete sure put out a goober with that sorry excuse for a truck. I just can't believe that someone okd that design. I'm glad it didn't replace the 362 though. 

If I remember correctly, weren't those just a gas engine converted to the poor excuse of a diesel they were to begin with? 

I believe there is a typo in both of your posts, it should start with the letter "P"! :lol:

Speaking of vomit inducing designs, and since I'm a trucker, a brainless wonder in the Peterbilt design group turned this

DSC_0054_zps4wsebx3v.jpg

into this hideous thing that looks like a football helmet in the early 90s. Cabover trucks were never meant to be aerodynamic!!

file0012_zpsf3zpm3jz.jpg