Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda

Shelbytona

I started this kit A couple days ago and got some accomplished.. While cutting the front valence in the correct spot (like I did with the Revell 1970 challenger T/A kit) I slipped with the knife and cut my thumb really bad so I haven't really touched it lately.. If I'm feeling up to it I will paint the body tomorrow. So far I cleaned up the body of mold lines, scribed all the panel lines and fixed the front valence. I also got the engine block glued together and painted Hemi Orange. 

I stripped the chrome off the bumpers, alternator, valve covers and carb since they will be painted. I also partelly assembled the interior tub, chassis and motor to fix the hood problem where the shaker scoop sits to high.. I just sanded down the rear carb a bit and now it's perfect. 

Its going Hemi Orange (painted bumper car) with the billboard decals and black interior.. I will wire the engine and flock the interior. 

Hello Shelbytona, just wanting to say Keep up the good work. I'm sorry to hear about You cutting yourself and unfortunately I think that we have all been there and it is a bummer. Try not to let it keep you down as it looks like you are well on your way with this car. Speaking of the car, looks great so far and I can't wait to see more posted about your progress. I just love Mopars and 71 was one fine year. Thank you for sharing this with us.        Jeff 

Yeah I was the same way till I seen a few 71 Cudas in person and I do prefer them over the 70 unless it's an AAR!

Got it painted today.. Alot of tiny parts to paint so I glued some Spurs to the pieces so I had something to hold on to. 

Glasurit Hemi Orange base/clear. 

Looking good so far. I enjoyed this kit a lot...my only complaints were the exhaust being molded in to the chassis and the hood scoop seems to cause poor hood fitment pretty frequently. I've seen many more skilled builders than myself address those small issues with (seemingly) very little effort, but they threw me for a bit of a loop.

Thanks guys for the compliments! I did fix the fitment issue with the hood already, I just sanded the rear carb down a bit. 

I buy my paint at the local body shop supply store.. I have two gallons of Hemi Orange for my 1:1 car so that's why a few models are being done in this colour. 

Got some accomplished on the body today..

939EB024-4F36-4A0E-A2A4-5A144EDE7CA4_zps

4C0EA72F-80A1-4799-AFB7-4B814E3F228B_zps

A8C24275-C7AC-41EF-BECB-CEC7F0C96890_zps

Edited by Shelbytona

Wow, looking great! Question that may be better suited for a different area of the forum, but I saw this picture and it made me think of it. I built one of these kits and the clear edges of the decal are pretty visible. How did you get yours so the edges don't show?

MrBuick, thanks for the compliment! I used microsol and microset on my decals and it almost melts them to the body. You should give it a try! You'll be impressed on the angles and curves you can lay decals on without wrinkles and it makes them adhere a lot better. 

Yeah the the billboards are awesome on the 71 Cuda.. I like the vents in the fender as well. 

Thanks! 

I got got some more accomplished tonight.. This is such a simple kit that it almost makes it more challenging detailing parts since nothing is really separate, but I'm building it for what it is with no modifications. 

419DA8AD-FEFF-4B1E-8315-C179729F2FD0_zps

096F31FC-17F8-48CC-A11D-767C82677D74_zps

B26491A6-56E8-42BA-AF36-14C802A34D08_zps

46614CEF-CF3C-4DD3-A051-815BE9644120_zps

Edited by Shelbytona

Thanks for the compliments! Yeah Hemi Orange and black go together very well.. I'd like to get the 71 GTX and 70 Roadrunner next and do them in the same colour and then I'll have a good collection of the 1/24 Monogram kits in Hemi Orange! 

Got some painting done tonight.. This is suck a simple kit, there's only 3pcs to the whole chassis.