Model Cars Magazine Forum

Deuce 5-Window - Dan Gurney Tribute - now Under Glass

Phildaupho

When Dan Gurney arrived in California with his family in 1948 just after graduating high school he traded a ’40 Ford Sedan for a chopped Deuce 5-Window.

0709sr 05 z+dan gurney 1948 1951+sleeper

I decided to build a custom Deuce 5-Window as a tribute to that car like one of the top hot-rod shops might do. If this were to be a car that Dan could jump in and enjoy it would have to meet a number high standards such as being fast as well as handling and stopping very well. It would also have to be comfortable, safe and very good looking.

I started off thinking it would just be a chopped 5-W with the engine and wheels from an Eagle Indy Car and modern running gear but it is taking on a life of its own and evolving.

After chopping the top a scale 4 inches I figured Dan who is a tall guy would need extra headroom like he did in his Le Mans winning Ford GT40 so I doomed the roof with a piece cut out of a Phantom Vickie roof. This made the window openings look out of proportions so I enlarged all the window openings to be later fitted with flush “glass”. Essentially the height and visibility lost with the chop has been regained with a different look. At this point I decided to go the full custom route. I smoothed the running boards and fenders with the rear getting a slight bob. The rear roll pan comes from the Revell 29 pickup and the taillights will be recessed. The grill shell has been lowered and is getting an eagle’s beak up top and a shaped section between the front frame horns. The cowl will need to be pie-cut or at least re-contoured but I have already filled the cowl vent. The hood top and sides will be smooth and the headlights will be mounted on fender stanchions without a crossbar.

Underneath I am using the full frame and front suspension and steering from the AMT Phantom Vickie. In back I am using a modified version of the Corvette independent rear suspension from the AMT ’34 Ford Street Rod. I hope to get both ends as low as possible.

When completed it will be painted a very dark blue and I may add scallops similar to Dan’s Lola T70 in 1966.

DSCN2912DSCN2913DSCN2911

Edited by Phildaupho

Tributes are nice. If you want somthing very diffrent and cool,well imo it is. Find the DOHC engine from the Dan Gurney Olsonite Eagle from MPC. 

AMT-6026-3.jpg

I am going to use the Gurney Weslake heads, valve & valley covers and fuel injection from the Dan Gurney Olsonite Eagle from MPC

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally got back to work on my Deuce 5-W tribute to Dan Gurney’s first California car. The interior and engine are complete and the rest just needs final painting assembly so I hope to have it completely finished by the end of June

ENGINE & TRANSMISSION - The engine is distinctively Gurney being a small block Ford with Gurney-Weslake heads. The induction system is from the MPC 1965 Eagle Indy Car and in reality could be an electronic version of the original mechanical fuel injection system. The valve covers and heads are also from the MPC kit while everything else comes from the Deuce kit. For most of his life Dan liked shifting gears but in recent years he has had knee problems so the transmission is a modern multi-speed automatic.

DSCN3472DSCN3471

INTERIOR – The contoured seat is from the Phantom Vickie. There is a roll-cage, four point safety belts for the driver and seatbelts for the passenger. The dash has the gauge panel from the Rat Roaster and there is a small console on the transmission tunnel. The steering wheel has the Gurney Eagle in the center and paddle shifters behind.

DSCN3474DSCN3476

• 4 weeks later...