Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mobius '61 Ventura, What it "Should" Look Like!

Just came across Paul Hettick's '61 Ventura on ebay & thought people might be interested to see what it could look like finished.

He painted his the color I wanted to paint mine & being as mine could never look as nice as Paul's, I guess I'll just be content to covet his for now. :P

Current high bid is $430.00!

Steve

s-l1600.jpg

Looks to me like it has the glass-fit issues Bill Geary showed how to correct here on this very board.

I've seen several less-accomplished modelers just leave it.

Backlite is definitely up proud of the roofline, seems as though the windshield may be too.

Yup, no doubt about it.

Otherwise looks great.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

As good as his models are there are many here who can build with and outbuild him.

you are absolutely right.  And I have seen your work on this site and I honestly think that you are one of them. Your Cushman Duster = Unbelievable . Thanks.  Jeff 

Why on earth would you say that, your work is as good as any I've ever seen.

I'll agree with that Steve. I'd like to think you'd at least remove the remenants of sprue from the windshield wiper.

It's really making me think about doing up a few to sell on the bay to help fund my 1/1 TransAm project. :D

But it wouldn't be an original Hettick!

A friend of mine owns a charcoal line drawing of Mickey Mouse. I could probably do as good a sketch but since his is by Andy Warhol, well... :wacko:

Exactly. Paul Hettick has been building up his customer base for a decade or more now. If I put any of mine on the bay I would be surprised to get much over 100 bucks until I had a good reputation built.

I built this Plymouth specifically to sell on e-bay about 11 years ago. All I got for it was $109.00, IIRC.Not bad but not good for 40 hours work either. But, I may be tempted to try again some time. Replica stock though, less work for the buck.

114 1464

Edited by Can-Con

I agree with Bob Frias...Paul is really good, and has a wealthy customer base...but there are plenty of YOU on this forum that are just as good!  I'm not saying anything bad about him...I wish I could build as good & clean as he does

Exactly. Paul Hettick has been building up his customer base for a decade or more now. If I put any of mine on the bay I would be surprised to get much over 100 bucks until I had a good reputation built.

agreed 100%. Ive seen and even bought some really nice builds for far less than what he sells for.

would love to have his customer base..

Edited by gtx6970

I think Steve Guthmiller, the OP and a frequent poster on the forum, is easily the equal of Mr. Hettick for showroom-stock or mildly modified cars. If you haven't seen Steve's models, you really owe it to yourself to have a look at some of them.

I was going to post some links to his work, but a lot of his photos seem to have disappeared.

I think Steve Guthmiller, the OP and a frequent poster on the forum, is easily the equal of Mr. Hettick for showroom-stock or mildly modified cars. If you haven't seen Steve's models, you really owe it to yourself to have a look at some of them.

I was going to post some links to his work, but a lot of his photos seem to have disappeared.

Well I thank you Bill!

That's very nice of you!

Yeah, sorry about a lot of my photos going bye-bye.

My Photobucket account was a real mess so I arranged everything into folders & when I did that, a good majority of the links disappeared on the forum.

But if you're really interested, you can always check out my Fotki page.

They're all there. :P

Steve

http://public.fotki.com/stevenguthmiller/

"But if you're really interested, you can always check out my Fotki page."

You and Paul have very similar taste in colors and subject matter...you would also love his collection of real cars.  

These discussions are always interesting..from some suggesting that the prices he gets are somehow fake to "I would never sell my work" ,

He makes a comfortable living as a professional model maker and 1-1 car restorer....I think that's pretty neat.  

( I should add that we've been friends for 25+ years)     

"But if you're really interested, you can always check out my Fotki page."

You and Paul have very similar taste in colors and subject matter...you would also love his collection of real cars.  

These discussions are always interesting..from some suggesting that the prices he gets are somehow fake to "I would never sell my work" ,

He makes a comfortable living as a professional model maker and 1-1 car restorer....I think that's pretty neat.  

( I should add that we've been friends for 25+ years)     

I have a collection of model cars because I can't afford the real ones! :P

Personally, I probably wouldn't sell my work at the moment either

Someday, when I can no longer build & I feel like it's time to let someone else enjoy them, I might consider it, but for now, they're like members of my family.

I think it's great Paul can get what he does for his builds.

If I thought I could get that sort of money, I might reconsider my position. ;)

Steve