Model Cars Magazine Forum

BOS-Models 1/18 Resin '57 Buick Caballero

traditional

One of my favorite cars of the '50s,.... I was delighted when BOS (Best Of Show) came out recently with this resin Buick Caballero. The only modifications that I felt obliged to make on the model was to tuck the wheels into the fender-wells a bit since the tracking width was a bit too wide as manufactured. It was an easy modification....just shortening the axle mounts a small amount on each wheel-back and snipping off a touch of the metal axles as well . Although not as necessary a modification, I've also added a metal washer behind each wire wheel to simulate the brake drums.

The best prices for Bos-Models is from ' American Excellence' since their parent company (Model Car World) in Germany has them manufactured in China. The US price is less than $100

P1240090.JPG

P1240091.JPG

P1240092.JPG

She's a beauty, love the color combo. Too bad its a sealed model<_<

Cheers,

Lance

In the last few years, I think I've come to prefer resin sealed models when they're in 1/43 or 1/18.  The 1/24 Danbury models were wonderful in their last few years of manufacture but most 1/43 and 1/18 have sloppy shut lines, sprue blemishes visible on bright trim, and often slightly different color hues on the separate parts...especially when done in metallic finishes.  Resin models also never seem to develop paint rash. I have hundreds of diecast models but I really like the quality and finishes on the new resin ones.   

It being sealed notwithstanding, this is a very beautiful model! I can remember seeing (and riding) in these as a little kid, but I wasn't quite sure what they were. My only nit with this one is that the windshield pillars should be fully chromed and not painted body color as shown. It would be terrific if BOS would offer these types of models in 1/24-25. 

Otherwise, absolutely flawless! B)

That is a beauty.  I like the opening parts as well but truly agree with the Clifford on the miss colored panels and door gaps. The 1/64 aggravate me the most, like what are you going to see under the hood on a 1/64 model. I would rather see them put the money in refining the over all look.   

That is a beauty.  I like the opening parts as well but truly agree with the Clifford on the miss colored panels and door gaps. The 1/64 aggravate me the most, like what are you going to see under the hood on a 1/64 model. I would rather see them put the money in refining the over all look.   

I totally agree, Tom. I can see the sealed model idea, and am spoiled by all these years of opening features, even though they sit on a shelf, the same as a sealed model would. I'm not in the habit of pulling a car out, and playing with it to operate all of its opening features, but when you look at what the savings should be, without all those added features, its not reflected in the price.

As Tom pointed out, with certain features on 1/64, all the "finger fun" incorporated into some of these 1/18 diecast, are a total waste of resources, IMO. Concentrated efforts in outward appearance, would be money well spent, as opposed to a rotating driveshaft. I have told some of my younger friends, that as an old time modeler, features like roll up windows, and opening glove boxes aren't new, heck, we were doing that in the 60's:lol:

Cheers,

Lance 

Clifford, can you please take a pic of the chassis? Thank you.

I also wanted to say, that the feature, I would miss the most, is the opening hood, with a detailed engine, and compartment.

Cheers,

Lance

Unfortunately, Lance, I can't take a picture of the chassis because I've wired my Caballero down onto a display case (I've done that with most of my resin models).  The chassis on almost all of the resin 1/18 models (BOS,Otto-Mobile, Neo, Minichamps, etc.) are virtually flat with only exhaust pipes added to peek out in the appropriate places. The reason that the model prices are usually higher is that the build volumes are typically anywhere from 400 units to around 1000.  You'd never be able to amortize the cost of diecast tooling with those kind of volumes unless you were charging $500 or more each. Resin tooling (usually silicone RTV or similar) is cheap by comparison, but the cycle time is much longer than with styrene or Zamak . I don't consider resin models as a complete replacement for diecast models, but I believe that they augment my collection by supplying vehicles never before done in diecast or interesting vehicles with a much more limited market appeal.

The other situation that has brought on the trend toward resin models is that the Chinese government has limited the amount of raw materials allocated for diecast model production because they feel it's better used in the automotive industry.  The model companies have a tough time getting both material as well as keeping employees willing to work for less than the automotive industry pays. Bear in mind that the model companies don't own their factories....the Chinese government does.

Cheers,

Cliff

• 4 weeks later...