Model Cars Magazine Forum

my first engine wiring

devil19751

That looks way better than my first attempts too Gord. Good goin'!!

Nice work; your first attempt is far better than mine.

You might want to look at this site; plug wires rarely line themselves up on the distributor. The site shows the firing order for a lot of engines.

http://modeltech.tripod.com/wiring101.htm

Thanks for that Ray!! I know the ol' standard 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 firing order but I didn't know where the starting point was on the distributor. I'm wiring a 427 Chevrolet up right now and that was a big help.

Edited by mustang1989

The engine looks great. The spark plugs you might want to makeup a wire loom or something on that order. In real life the plug wires would get burned up quickly on the exhaust manifolds. The factory ran the plug wires thru a metal loom on the back side of the heads and routed the plug wires along the bottom edge of the head under the exhaust manifolds. The problem then is you wouldn't be able to see all your hard work on the plug wires then. Just depends on how stock you want it to be.  

That looks way better than my first attempts too Gord. Good goin'!!

Thanks for that Ray!! I know the ol' standard 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 firing order but I didn't know where the starting point was on the distributor. I'm wiring a 427 Chevrolet up right now and that was a big help.

I heard recently on "CarFIX" that the Chevy engines tended to have number one spark plug on the dist cap in direct line with cylinder number one, after that it's just a matter of clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation for plug wire insertion. (if it really matters to you...).

Nice, tidy work.

What paint did you use for the motor? Testers or Model master?

Paul

Testers

Nice job, I am new at detailing motors, was this a presided distributor or did you scratch make it.  If you did, what did you make it out of?

scratch made and all from styrene tube and styrene rod

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...