Model Cars Magazine Forum

'55 chevy gasser repair.

buggin' out

Just before i start this, i, like my cousin am a rookie at modeling, i have only built a few but i couldnt pass up the opportunity to try to get this model looking reasonable, i love chevy gassers and so will try to fix this with what limited knowledge i have.

So this weekend my little cousin gave me this model of his, it was fairly complete but its the first model he ever made and its in such a state. Below are all the parts i got with it, he tried to make some rusty 2 lane black top style chevy, but it really hasnt turned out well. (the pictures arent great, the rust is darker than that and doesnt look too bad, for some reason the camera has made the pictures a lot lighter than they should be.)

WP_20160216_22_04_36_Pro.thumb.jpg.c61ef

Im not really sure where to start on the car tbh, there was some big holes on the engine which i managed to fill with some scraps of plastic i had and im in the process of getting the paint off.WP_20160216_22_04_59_Pro.thumb.jpg.23a5eWP_20160216_22_04_49_Pro.thumb.jpg.b2d6cWP_20160216_22_05_39_Pro.thumb.jpg.72d44WP_20160216_22_05_13_Pro.thumb.jpg.945d3

I think i will have to re-make the rear leaf springs as they have split in the middle and are covered in glue and one of the wheels has snapped of the rear axle so i dunno what to do about that.WP_20160216_22_06_40_Pro.thumb.jpg.eedd6WP_20160216_22_06_21_Pro.thumb.jpg.a07e5

i also dont know what to do about the firewall that he, for some reason, cut out and the terribly cut out door. There is also a lot of glue on the front and rear window and im not sure how to get it off.WP_20160216_22_07_08_Pro.thumb.jpg.d4ffaWP_20160216_22_07_35_Pro.thumb.jpg.47959WP_20160216_22_07_51_Pro.thumb.jpg.b9fc1WP_20160216_22_08_04_Pro.thumb.jpg.ca53e

Thanks for reading, updates to come.

WP_20160216_22_07_01_Pro.jpg

Nothing you learn during this should be considered a "bad learning experience". All learning experiences are good. Your starting cost is zero .. dollars or pounds. You state you new to modeling, so there's pretty much nothing to lose and all to gain here. Have fun with this and there are many here to ask when you hit a tough spot. Enjoy the trip. :)

Yeah, by bad i mainly meant stabbing myself with my knife, which i can now check off the list, and it was mainly a joke.  Thats true and im sure i will learn a lot .Im trying to do it on a budget which helps that he just gave it to me, spend as little as i can and try to get something that looks prety good at the end. I will be sure to ask you guys for help a lot. Thanks, i will try, haha.

you can repair that axle by drilling the broken ends and putting a short metal rod inside it; the firewall, IIRC, was mostly flat with sides curved to follow the body sides, so, it could be easily rebuilt from plastic card. the cut out door can be simply cemented back in place with plastic card as backer. now, for the heavily glued "glass"... progressively finer grades of sandpaper is one method... ending with fine polishing compound. that said, that's a LOT of effort to rescue glued glass... perhaps a fellow builder can provide a set from a junker for you? Getting the glass out without damaging the glass further or damaging the body will be difficult but not impossible.

Thanks for the help rebel, i think for the doors i will cut them out and try to hinge them, it will be good practice for other sets. At the weekend i will be getting a dremel from my grandad so i can cut out a firewall with that as my knife is prety cheap and not great. As for the glass i will try to sand it i guess, and see how that goes. What kind of filler do you guys use, as i think i will be needing some... at my grandads bodyshop he uses one called upol but it come in a huuuge tin and you have to mix it with hardener, is it the same for models?

In the best way possible as a beginner(as I sorta am myself) you have picked a nice steep learning curve, you will be getting to know the basics of a few different tasks.

Filler, guys use bondo, I use Tamiya putty. 

Be sure to primer before laying putty, it will protect the plastic somewhat.

Check out YouTube too, get your Cranky on! A lot of others on there  too.

Thanks, i will try to pick some up soon, yeah i have been looking on crankys page quite a bit and on the tips section on here. 

i have stripped the engine down to the basic block now, i think today will be an engine day, but does anyone know how to strip paint off, i tried IPA in a q tip but i cant get in the cracks and it doesnt work too great.
WP_20160217_10_56_38_Pro.thumb.jpg.9c46fWP_20160217_10_56_21_Pro.thumb.jpg.8d86a

WP_20160217_10_57_36_Pro.thumb.jpg.14e6f

Also, i wondered if anyone knew how to make carbs, i saw someone do a good tutorial on one of their build threads but now i need it, i cant find it, the guy was making a gasser too i think and he made some really good looking dual barrel carbs, also what size should i do headers, i have some 1.2 mm solder but i think its a bit too small for headers. Thanks in advance.

Kai get yourself down to Wilko's and get yourself some Fairy power spray (green bottle) put the engine in a sealable bag without the Chrome parts spray and seal bag . I should remove the paint without to much trouble. It will also remove chrome.

Also if you want to remove the glass from the body shell  . Put the body in the freezer for a few hours then remove and the glass should come out with a little help

Right, thanks for that, i will see if we have some in the house, if not, we be be going out to grimsby tomorow so i can get some then. Or see if i have anything similar in the house, i want to strip the chrome too, if i make a carb, i will have to spray it metallic silver so i may aswell re spray the chrome the same colour so it matches.

Edited by buggin' out
Forgot to add detail

• 2 weeks later...

After not doing much for a while, i got a bit done tonight and last night, sanded the engine down a bit, fixed up the supercharger, painted the rocker covers and the gearbox, which, looking back on it was probably stupid as i have to strip the engine and paint it still. i also fixed the rear axle and decided on the ride hight of this thing, i want it virtually scraping along the ground on the back.

WP_20160302_20_44_09_Pro.thumb.jpg.99755

WP_20160302_20_42_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20160302_20_43_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20160302_20_41_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20160302_20_41_36_Pro.jpg

ok, i need a new engine, turns out both headers have a massive crack in them, managed to get them off to see if i could repair them. i cant. its beyond my skill level. looks like its time to get a new engine, anyone got any recomendations of something that will look good in the chevy?