Model Cars Magazine Forum

Greater Salt Lake Championship?

A move out of Florida is in the planning stages for my wife and I. Boise is a likely destination. Which would put me in driving distance of the Greater Salt Lake City International Model Car Championship. I've read the info on the website and now I'd like to hear about it from folks that have done it, the bad and the good. 

I was last there in 2007-----It is THE premiere model event in the country! It should go without saying that the competition is FIERCE, and you'll have some of the best builders in the world that go there. Mark Gustavson along with the others are tough but fair judges, and you'll have a great time whenever you go!

There's another GSL coming up next year in May-----I plan on going, in fact, I'm making plans currently to what I'll be bringing and what project I'd like to have going and/or finished by then. ;)

Barring any SNAFUS, hope to see you there!

I entered the contest way back in 1991 with a custom '49 Mercury.  Back then, they accepted mail-in entries, which was how my model got there. I was given instructions on how to pack the model for safe transport, which I followed to the letter. I was a nervous wreck for the time it was away from me! However, it returned just the way I had shipped it!  I was so happy to see the model back in perfect condition! My hat is off to Mark and anyone that had any contact with it! I couldn't have been more pleased! Very professional handling by all. And it didn't hurt to be a winnerin the custom category either. Oh yeah, being Canadian, the carton had to go through customs, which really freaked me out, but no harm done! I would love to go there, but I wear a Timex, not a Rolex!

Its a great event. If you are planning to go  the next event is planned for  2017. I started going for the 6th one and only miseed two of the events one which was last year.

Definitely something every modeler shoukd expierence at least once.

I recentky noticedcthat Mark has stated that there are plans to do no more thah 5 more events. If you go to the website you can read the reasojing behind that statement and also speaks about the possibility that it could be continued if a suitable group could be found to continue.

GSL is a wonderful show. You will see e best models in the world and will meet the builders. These builders are most willing to give you tips and advice.  You will learn a lot and make many fiends

The only downside is that it is quite difficult to even place, let alone win- understandable when the competition are guys like Randy Derr, Ken Hamilton, and John Teresi. Each of the above are very friendly and fun people. No wait-Teresi is crazy funny!  I have a friend who cleans up at local contests but he went to GSL with the wrong attitude- he   EXPECTED to win, got nothing and now refuses to go back.

I describe GSL as a dug- you get hooked and can' wait tor more.

I have been there many times.
Well worth the trip, but do it as cheaply as possible. Stay at Super 8 and cut meals down to two a day if possible.
I have both driven and flown.
Prefer driving, but if you can travel with someone you like, that makes the the trip easier.
As has been mentioned, yeah, competition IS fierce. But what else do you expect from the Best of the Best?

I hope to attend in May of 2017 as well. 
Hey, can I buy you a beer Bill?

Yep - Everyone should go at least once.

I went at least two events ago. Randy Derr's orange Camaro won that year. HIs Sprint car was still in Brass finish. He would tell you anything you wanted to know about it. I had a great time. Got to meet and talk to many GSL champions. All were very friendly. 

I dream of going again. 

Scott

Been fortunate to never be out of an affordable range to get there, so I haven't missed one GSL since 1990, did a pair of mail-ins in '̶8̶9̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶'̶8̶8̶ (edit: '86 & '87. Faulty memory on my part. Sent in nothing in '88-'89). Definitely hard to place there if more than 4 entries show up for any given category, but I've snagged a few people's choice awards in the "Group" category. Expense can be a downside for the main hotel, but I've saved much $ on the nearby Motel 6 which is within easy walking distance. Vast upside besides many top-flight models are the people. Spent the last two times in a row sitting in on 'educational story time' conversations lasting 2 hours + with the legendary Jim Keeler last year, and the legendary Don Emmons the prior time. Plus, the can't miss thing to do is take a tour of the International Model Car Museum.

Edited by Russell C
fixed the mail-in dates. Senility: I forget what purpose it serves.

The only downside is that it is quite difficult to even place, let alone win- understandable when the competition are guys like Randy Derr, Ken Hamilton, and John Teresi.

Oh trust me. I'm not worried about awards. I just want to be a part of it. 2017 would definitely be the target for my move. I plan to wait until after the election and any economic instability thereafter before trying to shift my employment. 

I went to GSL in 2001 with the thought of fulfilling an item on my bucket list. I thought I'd go once for the experience.  Wrong!  Once there I was hooked.  I've only missed two due to real life conflicts, but I was there for the last one and will be there for the next one!

Think "Disneyland for model car guys".  This is Thursday through Sunday of model car over load.  I have never won a blessed thing, nor do I care if I ever do. It's fun, there's tons of camaraderie with modelers from everywhere, and you'll meet a bunch of guys you've met on message boards.  It's just tons of fun!

Attending GSL also includes a trip to the International Model Car Builders Museum.  That experience is worth the trip alone!

Posters above have mentioned "the best of the best", etc. but don't let that stop you from going and bringing a model or two. I'd say 75% of the people there are mere mortals like you and me.  If you go by yourself, people will befriend you and pull you into the group.  It's that kind of experience.

I can say it's not overly expensive.  I just looked at Expedia and I can fly from Newark, NJ to Salt Lake starting around $300 round trip.  Enlist a friend to travel with so you can split a hotel room and you can take an airport shuttle to the hotel if you don't want to rent a car.  

You have a year to save. If you put a $20 bill in a jar every week starting now, you could go and travel in style!   One year I sold a bunch of old kits I realized I didn't need to finance my trip.  If you are motivated, you will find a way!

Last year, GSL was a bucket list item for me as well. Now it will be a tradition. Every wonderful thing that happens there is a well choreographed play.

Mark Gustavson and crew are the most dedicated modelers I've ever met. 

Follow everyone's advice for saving money. You'll need it for the vendor room.

The seminars are not to be missed. Even if a topic is not your cup of tea, you'll still learn and have fun doing it. Plus it's funny when they forget to plug stuff in.

I run low odds to place in the competition, but I love showing my builds to interested bystanders.

Finally, I don't know if anybody else mentioned it, but if you enter something that has a serious shot at placing, provide a build book. There were dozens there. However, only the judges know if a build book made a difference.