Model Cars Magazine Forum

New to Modeling

Hi All,

My name is Shane, I live in Indiana currently, but will soon be relocating to southern Illinois. I'm pretty new to modeling, I'm 43 and have built exactly 2 kits, and that was a few years back. I recently was looking for a better and more productive way to spend my free time, and realized just how much I enjoyed building that "donk" impala and Ferrari f40. A few weeks back, I was in a swap shop, and bought an Original amt 1954 mercedes 300sl from the mid sixties(?)...So I've decided to jump in with both feet and have been researching and shopping for everything I need to start out to take this Hobby seriously. I'm awaiting my packages from amazon and have made many trips to my LHS. I was glad to come across this site and have already learned so much from the different articles and how-tos. My currently lined up products are: the aforementioned Mercedes, a revell 1970 boss 429 mustang, a revell vette agin, and a sprukit joker. I have interest in classic European cars, exotics, and classic American muscle, as well as being a huge batman fan. I also am interested in militaria as well, particularly WWII. I'm really looking forward to doing some building, learning and sharing; both my builds and the builds of others on here..... Now if my amazon order would just show up! 

Happy building. 

Shane

Edited by ElectricEells
Typos

Welcome to the forum. I recently returned to the hobby after a very long absence. I have learned more about the hobby in the last 8 months or so on the forum than I did when I was actively building before. Super friendly and helpful group of builders on this forum. I am sure that you will enjoy your time here and I look forward to seeing your builds.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Much appreciated!

Welcome Shane...from IL.   Building is a great way to pass time...best advise anyone ever gave me is to treat every parts as if it were a model itself and building is no race take your own time and enjoy the build.

great tip right from the start! Thanks!

welcome, Shane!  -if you ever need parts for that Mercedes, let me know, I have nearly 3 complete kits im not going to build.

Thanks so much for the offer Dann, that's gonna be my first build and I understand many of these old amt mercedes kits are infamous for being warped. Also the box was opened and all the parts were removed from the sprue, couple that with the fact that I'm gonna cut my teeth on that bad boy....don't be surprised to hear back from me!

Edited by ElectricEells
Typo

Thanks so much for the offer Dann, that's gonna be my first build and I understand many of these old amt mercedes kits are infamous for being warped. Also the box was opened and all the parts were removed from the sprue, couple that with the fact that I'm gonna cut my teeth on that bad boy....don't be surprised to hear back from me!

Cant wait to see it!

Welcome.

Warpage can often be addressed with submerging the part in slightly hotter than lukewarm water, bending to correct position and holding flat while cooling. 

Charlie Larkin

Brave man to take on that kit as a starter. Good luck!

No problem Shane....were all here for the same reason...we love what we do...always glad to be of help.

Brave man to take on that kit as a starter. Good luck!

Thanks Tony. I like a good challenge, sounds like I'm in for one! I'll keep you posted.

As I've had a chance now to really dig into this site, there are A LOT of tremendously skilled individuals on here. It's gonna awesome to have such an incredible wealth of knowledge and experience to learn from! I'm pretty excited to get on with building!