Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Studebaker Avanti R3

mr moto

True confession: I am a Studebaker geek! The rest of you may not be familiar with the R3 package that Studebaker offered only in 1964. Not surprising since only 9 of them rolled out the factory although a lot of others have been "cloned" over the years - most of them with a little bit of poetic license. This build depicts an original factory car as close as I could get it. The R3 package included a 304.5 c.i. version of the Stude V-8 that was developed by Andy Granatelli and boosted the Avanti's top speed to over 160 mph. The carb was enclosed in an aluminum pressure box that allowed for higher supercharger boost than on the R2 engine. Of course, it got high performance  cam, valves, etc. and the air cleaner was relocated to the area directly behind the grill for cool air intake.

This is built from the new Round 2 release of the AMT kit but I also used a number of parts from the Aurora kit including basically the whole engine (some scratch building required). Aurora missed the body shape by a mile but they included a lot of great detail parts and way better front seats than AMT. The paint is the factory Avanti Turquoise color from Model Car World. It's good stuff and looks just like the original color. The Halibrand wheels in the new Round 2 kit were available on all Studebakers in 1964. The luggage set was a dealer available option that was shown in some Studebaker sales brochures and Aurora actually include it in their kit. The photetched grill comes from Model Car Garage. It was intended for a '56 Chevy Nomad but if you turn it upside down and trim the ends it's a great fit for an Avanti.

• Like 1

Great looking model! I walked the line on whether I liked the Avanti or hated it, but after seeing your lovely work, I've decided that they are a very cool car! BTW, I once owned '61 Hawk and loved it!

The '61 Hawk is my dream car! That's some classy tail fins.

In my mind, the Avanti is the only car that looks more contemporary and up-to-date now than when it was introduced over 50 years ago.

Edited by mr moto

Beautiful job. I have a resin '62 GT Hawk waiting in line. I'd like to try and replicate the'64 I once had. I love how your R3 turned out and your interior. Years ago I saw a .'57 Golden Hawk with an R3 in it.He said he found the engine in a crate in California in the late sixties or early seventies.