Model Cars Magazine Forum

The General Lee and his alter ego

Fanof69

Hello All! I ended up with 2 of the MPC General Lee snap kits for Christmas so I decided to build one as traditional and one with my own spin on it. First up the General we all know and love:)

GEDC0360_zpsz0ukps0s.jpg

GEDC0361_zpsbtpqpv8b.jpg

GEDC0364_zps7ob7cavj.jpg

GEDC0365_zpsfltkw0os.jpg

GEDC0367_zps6bmxrdg6.jpg

GEDC0368_zpsaq139cwa.jpg

And this is my own take on the General Lee. Exterior is painted Testors Revving Red, interior is semi-gloss black. Wheels, tires, and hood scoops were kit bashed, and the front push bar is painted aluminum. I shaved off the door handles because well who needs door handles when the doors are welded shut:D. Also decided to forego the BMF on this one. So here is what I call the General's alter ego. Comments welcome.

GEDC0371_zpsnxaxcxaz.jpg

GEDC0374_zpscn97b3io.jpg

GEDC0372_zpsd6qulxdt.jpg

GEDC0375_zpsojsbskc6.jpg

GEDC0383_zpsjfvmgohp.jpg

GEDC0384_zpsbnylxlfn.jpg

GEDC0385_zpsxmshxnvr.jpg

GEDC0389_zpsfbwfnjjh.jpg

And a couple of them together.

GEDC0394_zpssn3gpuk5.jpg

GEDC0391_zps3b1nw50z.jpg

GEDC0401_zpsshghvupx.jpg

GEDC0396_zps67xbkks2.jpg

Thank for looking!!

Edited by Fanof69

Really good looking builds. The real general could pass for 1:1 at first glance. I have a question I'm new to this so please understand. I was in Hobby lobby the other day and noticed on the box art deleted the Confederate flag (PC goes just plain stupid sometimes). What I'm asking is would the kit still have the decal inside? Was wondering the same thing about nazi insignia on German aircraft as well. If you know, clue me in; like I said, I am totally new to the Hobby.

Thanks

Really good looking builds. The real general could pass for 1:1 at first glance. I have a question I'm new to this so please understand. I was in Hobby lobby the other day and noticed on the box art deleted the Confederate flag (PC goes just plain stupid sometimes). What I'm asking is would the kit still have the decal inside? Was wondering the same thing about nazi insignia on German aircraft as well. If you know, clue me in; like I said, I am totally new to the Hobby.

Thanks

I like the spin you put on the General.  As for the decals, they are in the box. And you hit it on the head with the PC movement, it's just a little out of control. There is another forum that won't let you post pictures of your General Lee build if the flag is showing, just when you think you've seen stupid at it's lowest, the bottom falls out.

Terry,  WOW, beautiful job on both of these builds.  I didn't think much of the MPC Snap GL kits until I saw this thread.  It's actually a nice looking kit.  I may have to pick one up soon.  

I really like your 'alter ego' General Lee and like the color you chose.

BTW, what piant/color(orange) did you use on the original General Lee?

What wheels/tires did you use on your 'alter ego' General Lee?

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

I love it!  It might inspire me to build the Roadkill "General Mayhem" Charger out of this kit.

I re-purposed an (incorrect Charger 500 body) earlier 90's General Lee kit I built in my teens into a diorama of the moment of impact just as the front is crumpling upon landing from a jump.  I won't post the picture as I don't want to jack the thread.  Well done!

Terry, what brand of paint did you use on the orange car and how did you apply it? That finish is killer.

Terry,  WOW, beautiful job on both of these builds.  I didn't think much of the MPC Snap GL kits until I saw this thread.  It's actually a nice looking kit.  I may have to pick one up soon.  

I really like your 'alter ego' General Lee and like the color you chose.

BTW, what piant/color(orange) did you use on the original General Lee?

What wheels/tires did you use on your 'alter ego' General Lee?

Mike.

Thanks guys. The paint is just Rust-oleum orange. That's all it says on the little label at the bottom of the can "Orange". The part # is 214084. Just sprayed on 2 coats then wet sanded 3000 thru 12000 grit, and then a final polishing. I did not clear coat it.

The wheels came from an AMT 1969 Ford Cobra kit. The rear tires came from that same kit I believe, and the front tires are from the General Lee kit that I put Goodyear decals on.