Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Duesenberg J Judkins all done

Eric Macleod

Just under one year ago I posted this build as it was the closest model I had in the "need to complete " stack. If you haven't followed my WIP thread, I can tell you this was the most challenging model I have ever built. The body from the cowl back and beltline  up is almost completely scratch built.  The interior is entirely scratch built. I wanted to build a model J Duesenberg with the earlier style updraft carburetor, as the car had on it when i saw it at Auburn so I had to scratch build that and the exhaust  manifold.  I fully wired, plumbed the car and added brake master cylinder and the associated lines. By far the most difficult aspect of the build was the three dimensional beltline molding. Still to do is adding windshield wipers and license plates.  I also have to touch up some paint and clear coat some small areas. Despite this,  I am calling this one done. Your comments are welcome. 1455942708024.thumb.jpg.b4829fbb6c32f2f0mi

Edited by Eric Macleod
wrong word

That's a great build of an unusual classic. You said that you saw it at Auburn so I assume you mean the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana. I've been there myself and it's the most mind-blowing collection of automobiles and historic memerobilia that I can imagine. Every car enthusiast should see it.

I agree with your observations about the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum but I actually saw the car during the Labor day weekend Parade of Classics. Fra nk Kleptz drove car 2375/ J354 in unfinished form through the streets of Auburn giving me a chance to photograph the car in ways I never could have done at another time.  I took tons of photos which were great references later on. You can see why I felt like I HAD to build the car. 

1455985382203.jpg

1455985745940.jpg