Model Cars Magazine Forum

KW T800 logger (12-3-16 update)

I like the updates, the details on the motor look very good and the rack looks perfect.

Dennis, question:  I don't quite understand the deal with the raised panels for the rack.  You wrote the panels were just scored from the back, then bent.  I don't get it.  Is this just one piece of sheet?  Then you made on the backside an "X" cut, then just bent the 4 sides?  I've been wondering a long time how I can do this type of raised seam.  I can get having one bend, but four?

Edited by 10thumbs

Fine work on that motor Dennis. 

X's 2 That motor looks great !

Be Well

Gator

Absolutely fantastic!!!!

Very nice work on that engine!!!!!

engine looks great ! those filters look real !   great work !

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback:D

I like the updates, the details on the motor look very good and the rack looks perfect.

Dennis, question:  I don't quite understand the deal with the raised panels for the rack.  You wrote the panels were just scored from the back, then bent.  I don't get it.  Is this just one piece of sheet?  Then you made on the backside an "X" cut, then just bent the 4 sides?  I've been wondering a long time how I can do this type of raised seam.  I can get having one bend, but four?

Thanks Michael!

It’s one piece of styrene with two score lines. After making the score lines (red and green lines) on the back side, make one bend on each color line which will be to opposite corners. Bend “into” the back side. That way, the exposed side will result in smooth raised panel lines. Don’t try to make bends in one try if using styrene. A LITTLE at a time yields the best results.I hope this helps!

Raisedpanel_zpsfw6vfys7-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Tesla

Top notxh work here Dennis! What did you use for your tank straps and turbo pipe clamps? They look great!

Lookin great. That is one fine lookin Cummins there. Thanks for tips. It's nice to learn some new tricks.

Thank you Sam and Clayton!

The tank straps and pipe clamps were made from silver metalized polyester film tape. I've been using this for quite some time and have always been pleased with the results.

https://www.thetapedepot.com/products/metalized-polyester-film-tapes-71858.htm

Edited by Tesla

• 3 months later...

Two weeks ago I got back to this build. The wheels and tires are finished and the logging bunks are complete:

IMG_0393_zps5mc3dg37-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_0395_zpsn0gcxm2j-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_0358_zpsghi8hhdv-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

For the dash, I used the photoetch set from CTM. It’s for the W900, but it works for me:

IMG_0339_zpsqenwh91c-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The visor is from rhino9905 (ebay) and I added the lights:

IMG_0338_zpsvd8t532x-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Tesla

Great Dennis. Excellent work. Too bad somebody out there doesn't make the updated dash for a KW like they do for the Pete. But looks great either way. The bunks look good, it's nice to see this sittin on the rubber. The visor looks awesome with the lights.

Edited by Petetrucker07

Dennis,

Glad to see you back at it. This one is looking so good! The dash is spot on and the visor lights are a nice touch. You really should think about taking to the Fulton show in November!!   

Be Well

Gator

• 1 month later...

10-17-16 Trailer Update:

The trailer is built along with the logging bunks for it. There’s still plenty to do on it though.

The side rails were cut from a plastic sign. This allowed the rails to be continuous with no splices.

Here it is in the squaring jig:

IMG_0401_zpsw0yo3xds-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This picture shows the mounts and supports for the trailer on the truck frame:

IMG_0427_zpsbg8fyfaj-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Here’s the trailer standing on its own:

IMG_0425_zpsg7smvd72-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

And on the truck:

IMG_0422_zpsdk6giuvz-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Tesla