Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Dodge Monaco

StevenGuthmiller

I really  like it. I think  the color choices are dead on what one usually finds these in. And its definitely on par with your usual quality.

BUT,,,, IMO, the wheels takes away from it. A set of the factory spinner hubcaps and whitewall tires would have been killer on it .

and btw, we need to talk about these red heater hoses on a mopar. Thats a big NO NO in the 1/1 car world.

,,To add I agree with Harry in I think the 67 GTX is one of the best body desings Mopar ever did. To bad its under appreciated in the 1/1 car world compared to 68 and later

Edited by gtx6970

Thanks so much guys!

It was kind of a long "slog" but I was pretty happy with the results, & surprisingly, it went together with very little issue.

The looks of this car have begun to grow on me a little, although I'll never be able to like the grille. ^_^

I really  like it. I think  the color choices are dead on what one usually finds these in. And its definitely on par with your usual quality.

BUT,,,, IMO, the wheels takes away from it. A set of the factory spinner hubcaps and whitewall tires would have been killer on it .

and btw, we need to talk about these red heater hoses on a mopar. Thats a big NO NO in the 1/1 car world.

,,To add I agree with Harry in I think the 67 GTX is one of the best body desings Mopar ever did. To bad its under appreciated in the 1/1 car world compared to 68 and later

I hear you Bill.

I remember you saying that you liked the stock caps, but every time I looked at a photo of one with the stock wheels it just reinforced my view that it was a far too "grandpa-ish" looking car.

So, uncharacteristically for me , I thought it needed something to make it look a little more "racey".

As far as the heater hoses go, I know they didn't come from the factory this way, but they also didn't come with the Magnum wheels, so it's not strictly stock anyway.

Those red hoses were pretty prevalent as replacements later on.

As a matter of fact, I remember having them on my '67 Chrysler 300 because at the time, it was the only thing the auto parts store in my town had.

Besides, at the moment, I haven't been able to find any wire in the correct heater hose size, & this is what I had on hand.

Steve

Turned out beautiful!,the work on the interior looks great and i agree I like the look of the taillights on these cars,i have a 68'galaxie paint/glue bomb as my next project just trying to clean it up to the point I can post it as a WIP on the forum,keep up the Excellent work.

Thanks guys!

I appreciate your kindness!

Turned out beautiful!,the work on the interior looks great and i agree I like the look of the taillights on these cars,i have a 68'galaxie paint/glue bomb as my next project just trying to clean it up to the point I can post it as a WIP on the forum,keep up the Excellent work.

I have an almost pristine '67 Galaxie that I hope to be building sometime this year Curt.

I'd love to see your '68.

You sure don't see a lot of them.

Steve

Beautiful work as always Steve, I watched your progress on this one and you never dissapoint.

I also have a glue bome one of these for restoration at some point. I've managed to gather enough parts apart from that chrome Monaco script in the tailight, Im missing that piece. My body also has some rather deep sink marks at the front of the fenders did yours have these?.

Steve, I don't think there's any mention in the thread as to what engine that is? 

Well Gene, your guess is as good as mine.

It's the engine that the kit was born with, whatever that may be.

The '65 Monaco could be had with either the standard 383, or a 413 or 426.

Not sure which one this represents.

Maybe some of the Mopar masters out there could tell. ;)

Steve

Beautiful work as always Steve, I watched your progress on this one and you never dissapoint.

I also have a glue bome one of these for restoration at some point. I've managed to gather enough parts apart from that chrome Monaco script in the tailight, Im missing that piece. My body also has some rather deep sink marks at the front of the fenders did yours have these?.

Thanks Gary!

Yeah, the sink marks are there.

They're pretty common on these older kits with the radiator brace molded to the fenders.

Mine weren't terrible but you can still see the shadow of them if you look closely at the photos.

I sanded them out as best I could without obliterating the fender crease or the trim on the fender top.

They're kind of in a tenuous place on this kit.

Steve

Excellent DP23H6C , Steve ! Add me to the list of those whose wish is that the original tooling wasn't modified [ read : butchered ]  :( .

The C-bodies and B-bodies of c.1964-c.1970 were really closely-related in many respects ; of course , the C-bods being the only "Unitized" carline left after 1962 (and the D-body Imperial which was full-frame through c.1965) .

It's the engine that the kit was born with, whatever that may be.

The '65 Monaco could be had with either the standard 383, or a 413 or 426.

Not sure which one this represents.

Maybe some of the Mopar masters out there could tell. ;)

Steve

I bet it's a 383, thanks Steve. (I didn't mean to cut off the first line of your post, computer magic).

Edited by Speedfreak