Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Dodge Monaco

StevenGuthmiller

Steve...just simply a great job on your '65 Monaco.  I would LOVE to have that one in my case.  I built that kit when it came out, I was 11 at the time.  I liked the "molded in Gold" finish as my spray can paint jobs at that point were far from consistently good.  One of the things I like so much about your build is that you chose a factory paint scheme that simulates the kit molded color...that is, you played out exceptionally well what the kit itself was hinting at.  Of course, your detailing is also superb.  Way to go!  

As 1960 -  1974 Mopars are a personal favorite (both in 1.1 and 1/25th scale), Mopar C-Bodies a particularly favorite personal favorite, and I have closely relevant experience with the 1/1  '65 Dodge (my Dad factory-ordered a '65 Custom 880 wagon - the closest wagon equivalent to the Monaco hardtop) which stayed in the family for over ten years, having served him, and my two brothers and I as personal transportation, I do have some views on the ancillary topics in this thread:

* with the benefit of hindsight, the 1965 Dodge C-Body styling was probably a bit on the bland side, but at the time, it was hugely important in re-establishing Dodge in the full size car market.  From 1961-1964  (including a short period during the 1962 model year in which there was no full size Dodge at all), Dodge's participation in the full size medium price class was at best a footnote.  Odd to bizarre styling, the aforementioned gap, and then a series of derivative and dated 1962 1/2- 1964 cars based 90% on a 1962 Chrysler Newport, generated poor sales and damaged Dodge customer loyalty.  The  all-new 1965 C-Body, capped with the new Monaco (using the 1962 Pontiac Grand Prix product formula) and the Custom 880 wagon (the first "wood-sided" wagon to use chrome trim borders instead of Ford's "ash" wood fiberglass moldings, which created a stampede of competitive copies throughout the rest of the decade), spoke loudly to ChryCo owners that "Dodge was back" in this part of the market.  It set the stage for major Dodge full size/C-Body sales growth through the 1968 model year (my personal favorite from this era was the '67 Dodge Polara 500 & Monaco 500), and a continued strong presence in the segment through about 1972-73 (the end of the "fuselage" C-Bodies.)  

*  the 1965 Dodge body design looked a TON BETTER with the addition of aftermarket wheels.  Again, I speak here from experience.  I had purchased a set of Rocket mags (poor man's Cragar S/S) in the 15x6" reverse size for use on the '69 Chrysler Town and Country wagon I was driving.  When I traded that for a new '73 Duster 340, I put the stock wheels/tires back on and gave the mags to my brother Robert who was driving the '65 Custom 880 wagon at that point.   HUGE difference in visual appeal, let me assure you.  In current times, most '65 Dodge C-bodies you see at hot rod and Mopar events wear some form of aftermarket wheel/tire treatment.  If any of you have the April, 2011 issue of Street Rodder at hand, take a look at p.19, where there is a photo of Jerry Wilson's '65 Custom 880 two door hardtop (upon which the Monaco was based) painted bright red with a white vinyl top and killer set of 17" mags and blackwalls.  Superb!  So I strongly support you, Steve, in your choice of aftermarket wheels and tires for your build.        

* a few years back, I built two MPC '66 Dodge Monaco 500's - one factory stock (which required changes to the MPC tool which incorrectly retained the fender top trim you can see on Steve's '65 model), and the addition of an "L" shaped rocker molding on the forward front fenders that was missing from the '66 kit.  On the other one, I left the MPC "mistakes" (which were undoubtedly last minute changes to the real car that were not planned when the model tool was updated), along with a street 426 Hemi and the '66 Chrysler 300/ '67-'68 Plymouth Fury "fastback" roof - both of these features were under consideration for a limited run of factory Hemi '66 Monaco 500's, which was later cancelled. Needless to say, I used Cragars and blackwalls on one of these two builds...I'll try to dig up some pictures and post here or in another thread in the section of the forum. 

So Steve, I'm with you all the way on this one, brother.  Great job!   TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Thank you everyone!

Steve...just simply a great job on your '65 Monaco.  I would LOVE to have that one in my case.  I built that kit when it came out, I was 11 at the time.  I liked the "molded in Gold" finish as my spray can paint jobs at that point were far from consistently good.  One of the things I like so much about your build is that you chose a factory paint scheme that simulates the kit molded color...that is, you played out exceptionally well what the kit itself was hinting at.  Of course, your detailing is also superb.  Way to go!  

As 1960 -  1974 Mopars are a personal favorite (both in 1.1 and 1/25th scale), Mopar C-Bodies a particularly favorite personal favorite, and I have closely relevant experience with the 1/1  '65 Dodge (my Dad factory-ordered a '65 Custom 880 wagon - the closest wagon equivalent to the Monaco hardtop) which stayed in the family for over ten years, having served him, and my two brothers and I as personal transportation, I do have some views on the ancillary topics in this thread:

* with the benefit of hindsight, the 1965 Dodge C-Body styling was probably a bit on the bland side, but at the time, it was hugely important in re-establishing Dodge in the full size car market.  From 1961-1964  (including a short period during the 1962 model year in which there was no full size Dodge at all), Dodge's participation in the full size medium price class was at best a footnote.  Odd to bizarre styling, the aforementioned gap, and then a series of derivative and dated 1962 1/2- 1964 cars based 90% on a 1962 Chrysler Newport, generated poor sales and damaged Dodge customer loyalty.  The  all-new 1965 C-Body, capped with the new Monaco (using the 1962 Pontiac Grand Prix product formula) and the Custom 880 wagon (the first "wood-sided" wagon to use chrome trim borders instead of Ford's "ash" wood fiberglass moldings, which created a stampede of competitive copies throughout the rest of the decade), spoke loudly to ChryCo owners that "Dodge was back" in this part of the market.  It set the stage for major Dodge full size/C-Body sales growth through the 1968 model year (my personal favorite from this era was the '67 Dodge Polara 500 & Monaco 500), and a continued strong presence in the segment through about 1972-73 (the end of the "fuselage" C-Bodies.)  

*  the 1965 Dodge body design looked a TON BETTER with the addition of aftermarket wheels.  Again, I speak here from experience.  I had purchased a set of Rocket mags (poor man's Cragar S/S) in the 15x6" reverse size for use on the '69 Chrysler Town and Country wagon I was driving.  When I traded that for a new '73 Duster 340, I put the stock wheels/tires back on and gave the mags to my brother Robert who was driving the '65 Custom 880 wagon at that point.   HUGE difference in visual appeal, let me assure you.  In current times, most '65 Dodge C-bodies you see at hot rod and Mopar events wear some form of aftermarket wheel/tire treatment.  If any of you have the April, 2011 issue of Street Rodder at hand, take a look at p.19, where there is a photo of Jerry Wilson's '65 Custom 880 two door hardtop (upon which the Monaco was based) painted bright red with a white vinyl top and killer set of 17" mags and blackwalls.  Superb!  So I strongly support you, Steve, in your choice of aftermarket wheels and tires for your build.        

* a few years back, I built two MPC '66 Dodge Monaco 500's - one factory stock (which required changes to the MPC tool which incorrectly retained the fender top trim you can see on Steve's '65 model), and the addition of an "L" shaped rocker molding on the forward front fenders that was missing from the '66 kit.  On the other one, I left the MPC "mistakes" (which were undoubtedly last minute changes to the real car that were not planned when the model tool was updated), along with a street 426 Hemi and the '66 Chrysler 300/ '67-'68 Plymouth Fury "fastback" roof - both of these features were under consideration for a limited run of factory Hemi '66 Monaco 500's, which was later cancelled. Needless to say, I used Cragars and blackwalls on one of these two builds...I'll try to dig up some pictures and post here or in another thread in the section of the forum. 

So Steve, I'm with you all the way on this one, brother.  Great job!   TIM 

That's a whole bunch of good information Tim.

A lot of things I would have never known about the Monaco.

All I really know of the Monacos was that my mother owned 2 Monaco wagons.

A '72 & a '75.

I thank you for your info.

It's always nice to hear from members who are more knowledgeable than yourself on a particular subject.

Thank you!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Well that turned out very nice! I like how that color fits together with that black vinyl top and as always with your builds, the BMF work is flawless. This is a museum quality build. Very sharp details in the engine bay and that wheel and tire combo finish it off. Nice work.

Well that turned out very nice! I like how that color fits together with that black vinyl top and as always with your builds, the BMF work is flawless. This is a museum quality build. Very sharp details in the engine bay and that wheel and tire combo finish it off. Nice work.

I agree

Perfect

Thank you so much guys!

This was a thread that I thought was long dead! :P

I appreciate your kind words! 

Steve

That is an amazing rendition of the full size counterpart.  I also know what you're saying about building something that's not your favorite style.  I run into that with the little pony type cars, which I find boring, but will push myself to make them as perfect as possible, and have a determination to get them built.  We modelers are a strange lot, but we sure do have fun.   Thanks for sharing your excellent work of art.

That is an amazing rendition of the full size counterpart.  I also know what you're saying about building something that's not your favorite style.  I run into that with the little pony type cars, which I find boring, but will push myself to make them as perfect as possible, and have a determination to get them built.  We modelers are a strange lot, but we sure do have fun.   Thanks for sharing your excellent work of art.

Thanks a million Doug!

It's funny, but every once in a while I find myself starting kits that are lower on my build list because they don't interest me as much, while leaving other projects that I'm highly motivated to build waiting!

I'm not sure why I do that sometimes, but I think it may have to do with the fact that I know I want to build those "lower interest" cars at some point, & I figure if I squeeze them in between more desirable builds, they won't come all at once down the road to sap all of my enthusiasm.

In other words I'm trying to mix the good with the bad! :P

But even those builds kind of grow on you to the point where they become endearing by the end of the project.

Now I love my '65 Monaco! :D

Steve

• 2 months later...