Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Dodge Monaco

StevenGuthmiller

Well, I finally made it!

I'm not exactly sure why this build seemed to take me so long.

Disinterest may have played a little into it.

I won't say that the '65 Monaco is my favorite car, & the color was not all that inspirational either, but in the end I think it went together quite well.

I had very little problem with fit issues & the like which surprised me a bit for a 50 year old kit with some front end warpage & very brittle plastic.

The color is correct "Sandalwood" or "Medium Bronze" & although the Magnum wheels are not stock, I think they added a much needed "muscle car" look to an otherwise "stodgy" body style.

I guess it turned out well for a car that really didn't interest me a whole lot.

But I wanted to build one just because of the rarity factor.

It's definitely one you don't see every day.

I think I'll be a little more into my next project!

So, without further ado, I present..........Ah, you get the picture. :rolleyes:

Steve

2v2UFdVVZxwUbWP.jpg2v2UFdVcexwUbWP.jpg2v2UFdVRexwUbWP.jpg2v2UFdVQuxwUbWP.jpg2v2UFdVA9xwUbWP.jpg2v2UFdVKExwUbWP.jpg2v2UFdh29xwUbWP.jpg2v2uhKaZMxwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Very nice!

And I have to disagree with your description of the styling as "stodgy." On the contrary, I see typical mid '60s Mopar muscle.  B)

I guess everyone's tastes are different Harry.

To me the full sized '65 Dodge looked very boxy, & the grille was rather homely IMO.

I actually really like the look from the rear, & the roof line is attractive.

In contrast, the '65 Plymouth & Chrysler to me looked much more "stream lined".

I liked the '64 & even the '66 Dodge, but somehow I just feel like Dodge missed the mark a bit in '65.

Steve

I guess everyone's tastes are different Harry.

To me the full sized '65 Dodge looked very boxy, & the grille was rather homely IMO.

I actually really like the look from the rear, & the roof line is attractive.

In contrast, the '65 Plymouth & Chrysler to me looked much more "stream lined".

I liked the '64 & even the '66 Dodge, but somehow I just feel like Dodge missed the mark a bit in '65.

Steve

Styling is subjective. I'm a big fan of '60s MOPAR styling. My first car was a '67 Belvedere... it was 10 years old when I got it, but I loved the looks. Boxy? Yeah, I guess so... but to my eyes, beautiful! It just said "muscle car" to me. To this day a '67 GTX is IMO one of the best looking cars ever.

Styling is subjective. I'm a big fan of '60s MOPAR styling. My first car was a '67 Belvedere... it was 10 years old when I got it, but I loved the looks. Boxy? Yeah, I guess so... but to my eyes, beautiful! It just said "muscle car" to me. To this day a '67 GTX is IMO one of the best looking cars ever.

I agree.

I love "most" '60s Mopars!

My first car was a 1967 Chrysler 300.

Also very boxy, but in a bit more "sexy" kind of way.

Some of my all time favorite cars are the mid 60s Plymouths & Chryslers, like the '66 300, & the '65-'66 Furys.

There are too many to list, but the '65 & '67-'68 Monacos were not favorites of mine.

Steve