Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 23t Altered build

BrentFoster

Hello all,

Was doing the 1/16 Hawaiian build but lost my motivation with it, wasn't really loving the body style of it either so i purchased a Competition Resins 23t Altered body. 

When i first received the body i plonked it on to get a feel, yea i love it!

First little job i then tackled was the breathers, thinking now im going to run them into a tank that ill mount between motor and fuel tank area.

Decided to try my hand with soldering, made up the barrel valve for up top, still need to made up the linkage to connect it to the butterflys.

Made up some oil filters and a mount for them, and thats where i am at this point, drilled out the fuel tank and oil tank next to it. Connected the fuel tank to the pump. 

Pretty happy so far with how its looking, can not wait to finish it. Thoroughly impressed with the RB motion fittings, using the Pro Tech braid in them.  

Thanks for the feedback guys, will be sure to keep this updated as the progress rolls on,

Just trying to get my bearing right, bit overwhelming when u look at the amount of work left to do, and only so many hours in a day free to chip away at this project.

Wanting to drill out all the bolt heads and replace them with scale hardware items. 

Brent... I am totally Digging this build and loving that you decided to go with an Altered. The stance and body look great!!! I know all too well what you mean about how it can be overwhelming with so much work to do and only so many hours in a day. Little by little you will chip away at it and it will get done. I had one of my dear friends here tell me if I am just able to get to the bench for 30 mins to an hour a day progress will be made little by little. Keep up the great work;

Thanks Chris. 

Yes ill give that a go, bit by bit. And break the car up, finish upto the rear motor plate, then cockpit then rear end. Might help me abit. 

Also just ordered some Weld V series front and Delta 1 rears from Micro Nitro in black anodized with detail, going to be a painful wait as i cant wait to see them! 

Thanks Gene

Well tonight i cut down the rear motor plate, front of body was sitting a little too high for my liking and i also secured the engine down, (gotta re-do 2 brackets on the back yet)

Played with this idea of mounting a puke tank up front, Thoughts? 

Made from an old dead Sharpie permanent marker haha 

Hi Brent, my opinion on the puke tank in front of the motor is that it might get really crowded up front.  Most puke tanks from the 70's and later had them around the area of the rear axle.  I like the way you had the lines going right into the frame, maybe even move them back towards the motor plate.  Things will get tight up front, you'll be happy about the added space.

I really like the looks of this car and your detailing is spot on.

Michael

Hi Brent, I can offer this insight from Dave(comp1839) that he shared with me regarding the puke tank location.  Move it to the back and run your lines from the valve covers into your frame rails as you have them now.  Then have them come out of the rear rails as close to the puke tank (wherever you decide to place it, the further back the better)........reasoning being that if something leaks or blows, you want to reduce the possibility of oiling down the slicks as much as possible. I thought it made sense, so if this helps........it's not the only consideration of course, but I thought it was an excellent one to share. cheers, tim

Hi Brent, I've seen very small tanks on some cars.  Like about the size of a shoe box or even lesser.  Maybe you can find room for a small box on each side instead of one central unit.  Also a possibility would be a collector box alongside each frame rail up front if the rear area is too tight.  There is really no set rule or size concerning this subject.

I did some researching on this subject on my last Fuel Altered build and have a couple of interesting pics if you're interested.  Info on crankcase evacuation in drag racing is not easy to find nor are the pics.

Well i received my other chassis the other day, i was hoping for that to be a quick build inbetween everything, seems i am wrong haha it came with the 23 altered MOB body from competition resins. 

Mounted up the puke tank, unsure if that will be its final position, ill play with that idea more when i get to framing the rear of the chassis out and have to body mounted etc.

Also gave it a go at making the oil (pump?) not too bad, may try to refine that one day tho.

It really is working nicely just trying to get a small job ticked off when i do get a little bench time, rather than being a mad man trying to get a large quantity of work done in little time.

Thanks for looking, Brent

• 2 weeks later...

Well small update as ive been flat out lately and not alot of bench time. However i did get half an hour the other day and i used it to complete the top injection lines. will have the furrel fittings from teds site when i put them in for final assemble. Should be able to get the bottom ones completed tonight im hoping to get out there for a litte bit. 

Thanks for looking.