Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom Honda S2000

Toast

Adding a couple aftermarket parts to replicate a friend's S2000. The first kit I bought was a Right side drive only so I had to pick up a second that had the Left side dash option. It's coming in handy as I am fitting a spoiler and building a front ground effects kit from scratch. The second body allows me to do that with a spare body while working on the modifications to the rest of the body.

The seams on both bodies are atrocious!

New exhaust fabbed up.

There's some nice photoetch pieces in the Hobby Design kit

The front air dam and some work on the intake and removed stock hood.

Not doing any engine detail. Hobby Design does make a kit to retrofit under hood detail and a Honda F20C engine but that's more fabricating than I'm up for on this project.

This is the goal, sans rally decals.

IMG_6342.jpg

As you can see this car sits LOW! Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for lowering a Tamiya kit?

Edited by Toast

Awesome build. I built one of these kits about 8 years ago. No fitment problems. I have just started to find out about the Hobby Design Detail Up sets and engine detail kits. I really want to do another one with these full engine detail and maybe voltex kit.

Gonna look great when you finish!

Here's the F20 engine kit comes with everything to make it...not too much scratch building to do.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by lghtngyello03

Love it! You should try and get an engine in there. I forget what site it is that sells them online at a decent price, but it'd really spice up the s2k build. I got one in the "to-do-list" myself.

Looking forward to seeing more updates :)

eightyone81.com sells the F20c on their site.

http://www.eightyone81.com/ek002-honda-f20c/

Edited by Kennyboy

...not too much scratch building to do.

He he yeah but my friend's is far from a stock F20C. This is more than what I want to do for this project.

I did get a bit of work done this weekend. Most noticeably, the mold seams smoothed on the front fenders. First coat of white primer doesn't show any signs of them. Worked on the rear air dam and some interior as well.

He he yeah but my friend's is far from a stock F20C. This is more than what I want to do for this project.

20150606_082112.jpg

Man, that is a sick setup. A Lot of guys harsh on imports, but if they make awesome power and run with v8's...they deserve respect in my opinion. That's why I love my Evo 8. 500hp on stock block with basic bolt ons/turbo upgrade and E85. Step up my turbo again, and build a solid bottom end, be in the 750-800 awhp range......all that from a 2.0L. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy you guys are waiting on me! I guess that's my queue to get some bench time in.

Was a slow couple of weekends. Was working on my full size car, not as fun as this one, but gotta get to work somehow. And repairing some Bathroom issues. Excuses, excuses, I know.

I have made a little progress though. . .

Finished off the tail light openings to fit the aftermarket setup in the Hobby Design kit. These are awesome little pieces that have a lot of detail.

IMG_6719.jpg

Finishing up the seats. filling in a few small gaps between the kit and photo etched pieces.

IMG_6721.jpg

I cut the side windows off and temporarily mounted the front piece to the silver body so I can start fabricating the gauge pillars.

Still trying to figure out how to lower this thing!

Edited by Toast

Thanks for the comments. Got a few little things done this weekend.

Big project is the pillar gauges. Started by coating the pieces with mold release and then covering with Bare Metal Foil. I bought a sheet of black BMF and was not really thrilled with it so I use it for these kind of tasks.

Protected the rest of the car from stray Milliput.

Mixed up some Milliput epoxy putty and sculpted a pillar. After the basic shape was there I pressed in some reamed out plastic rods for gauges.

Once the putty sets I'll blend the gauges to the pillar with some softer putty and fine tune the shape.

Started formulating my plan for shaving a scale inch or two from the suspension.

Till next time. . .