Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Buick HT

72 Charger

I think the sink marks were just the quality of the day. They just didn't have the technology that we all now take for granted. This should be a real nice easy build with the detailing knowledge you have now. Since you're going to build it as a showroom model, the tutone paint on OEM Buicks could be had two different ways. The most common was to have the roof painted the lighter contrasting color. The less common seen style was to paint the roof and the top of the trunk and top of the fins the lighter color. The moldings along the fins provide the dividing line between the different colors. The bottom edge of the trunk lid provided the end point. The area below the trunk lid and around the license plate/gas filler area would be the same color as the main part of the body. I'll enjoy watching this build.   

I think the sink marks were just the quality of the day. They just didn't have the technology that we all now take for granted. This should be a real nice easy build with the detailing knowledge you have now. Since you're going to build it as a showroom model, the tutone paint on OEM Buicks could be had two different ways. The most common was to have the roof painted the lighter contrasting color. The less common seen style was to paint the roof and the top of the trunk and top of the fins the lighter color. The moldings along the fins provide the dividing line between the different colors. The bottom edge of the trunk lid provided the end point. The area below the trunk lid and around the license plate/gas filler area would be the same color as the main part of the body. I'll enjoy watching this build.   

David I had seen the second OEM paint job you speak of and I thought that it was a custom car . Maybe I will consider doing it that way ? The sink mark on the roof was doughnut shaped..?

WOW :o Steve I hope mine turns out as nice as yours...! Im missing the mirror but im sure the spares box will have something close . That is the colour I had seen . I have a hole in my A pillar would that be for a lamp or a different mirror location ?

The mirrors on these old annuals were totally inaccurate anyway Dave.

I think I got mine from a Monogram '59 Impala kit.

Much closer to the original.

The holes in the A-pillars are very common on these late 50s annuals.

They were there for the obligatory "spot lights" that came with most every kit.

Not very tough to close up.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

A few things.  First, research your Buick models.  The Electras had one two tone and the Invictas had the different color trunk lid scheme.  It's easy enough to find great photo on the Internet today.

Second, before you get too far, roll that body over and look at the underside of the fins. There is no detail for the bottom edge of the fin tip chrome. You may want to score something prior to paint.   BTW, the top and bottom of the fin are not finished on the real car, it's tacked together and the bright work covers the unfinished edge.  I had a 1:1 1960 Electra.

Thank you for the info Steven/Tom . I had not noticed the missing chrome detail under the fins. That's going to be fun to try and do them :D These Buick's are one of my top 5 cars of all time . I love the aggressive front and the angled fins. Tom I bet you wish you still had the 1/1 Electra ?

tom 12 21 08 022

Dave, I owned that Electra for a very long time and never had the time and money at the same time to restore it.  I did keep it in the garage so it didn't deteriorate on my watch.  As I prepared to move to Pennsylvania for a job opportunity, this was one of the cars I sold.  It paid for most of a college semester for my younger daughter! 

David I had seen the second OEM paint job you speak of and I thought that it was a custom car . Maybe I will consider doing it that way ? The sink mark on the roof was doughnut shaped..?

There is a TV program here called Bitchin Rides and is centered on the custom work from Kindig-it Design. If you look on Youtube under Bitchin Rides they have several of the cars he has done. The one to look for is called Blue Suede Shoes. They redo a '59 Buick Invicta and it is done in a two tone. You might look for it for some ideas.  

James that is a beauty you did a fantastic job on restoring that one . I not overly fussed about the trim not being well defined as the 1/1's seem to meet the body fairly flush. So I will just BMF it and make sure the lines are as strait as possible ^_^

Instead of re-scribing, you could always do what I do.

After applying the foil, but before cutting it, lay a piece of blue painters tape along the edge that you want to cut.

It will give you a nice straight line & the edge of the tape will give you a guide for your blade to ride against while cutting.

Also, the blue tape will give you a color contrast so that it's easier to see what you're cutting.

With some practice & very thin strips of tape, this technique will even work for tougher curved pieces like wheel well trim.

Works great!

Steve