Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Buick HT

72 Charger

• 2 weeks later...

" After applying the foil, but before cutting it, lay a piece of blue painters tape along the edge that you want to cut. It will give you a nice straight line & the edge of the tape will give you a guide for your blade to ride against while cutting. Also, the blue tape will give you a color contrast so that it's easier to see what you're cutting."

Another tip that works well for me: color the tip of your blade with a black sharpie; it lessens distracting reflections.

Is this any better? :P Still looks pink, but it is lavender

IMG_0065.JPG

That's much better Dave!

Still looks pretty pink but it looks good none the less.

Colors like this were pretty popular back then.

I love them myself!

I have several 50s builds in my collection in various shades of coral, lavender, purple, etc.

Something about those colors, & of course aqua, just screams 50s to me.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Well after a long while I did finally get around to the foiling on the Buick . Unfortunately the Buick has stalled as I don't know what to do with the interior? Do I go with all white or lavender ? Or a bit of both like stock trim. I'm also not sure if I should go with the stock wheels or custom?

Comments welcomed good or bad :)

IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_1727.JPG

Edited by 72 Charger

Dave I vote for the stock wheels as I'm biased that way towards stock as a stone vehicles. ;)

I did one just like yours years ago with the stock wheels, and if you'd like, you can take a peek here. '59 Buicks are one of my favorite GM '59 offerings. I used to see them quite a bit as a kid in the '60's and yeah-------they always appeared to have a mean, scowling look to them! :D

BTW, I want to add that you painted yours in a BEEYOOTIFUL color! In hindsight, I wish I had painted mine in something other than I did. The copper isn't bad, just that cars of this type scream for flashy colors as their body shapes dictate that. 

Edited by MrObsessive

Thank you Bill I have got to paint the rear valance under the rear bumper as I forgot to do it. I cant remember what the colour is but its a nail polish.

Plus I am sticking with the stock wheels .

I have painted the underside red oxide primer but looking at yours you have it black . Should I repaint mine ?

I have painted the underside red oxide primer but looking at yours you have it black . Should I repaint mine ?

No, I'd leave it as is. When I built mine I wasn't worried so much with underside details as this was just a curbside, and not one of my superdetailed efforts. Red oxide primer would be pretty much correct for a GM car during this era.

Now we're talking!

Amazing how a little foil can bring a build to life.

I know what you mean about the interior!

What color would be appropriate?

I labored a little over that when I built mine.

I finally went with a "multi-tone" look with lavenders & white.

Not the best looking interior I ever did, but it looked ok.

From what I've been able to find, (which is very limited) a common interior color for the "Lido Lavender" paint would have been a sort of gray, black & white combo.

Steve

013.jpg