Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cutting off a top

So I'm not really sure where to ask this, so I'll start here. I'm thinking of making a semi-replica of the '49 Mercury from Grease...not necessarily a 1:1, but at least inspired by. Does anybody have any tutorials on the best way to turn a hardtop into a convertible? I will be using the AMT '49 Merc Club Coupe, and I do have a few junker bodies (not Mercs, but still) to practice on, but any foresight, hints, tricks, gotcha's, etc. would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first "customization" of a model that goes beyond adding a few kit-bashed parts, but I figure it's probably not all that difficult (I'm guessing that the convertible boot will likely be the most complicated part1949-mercury-grease-24-1.thumb.jpg.dfa0c). Contrarily, if you know of any Resin convertible Mercs, I may be interested in that as well...I just haven't found any. Picture should give you an idea of what I'm going for.

The '49 Mercury can be turned into a convertible by using some parts from he soon to be reissued 50 Ford Convertible. The Ford windshield frame is a separate piece as the kit has an optional chopped windshield for the custom version. You would also need he window ,glass and  convertible boot.  I find convertible conversions are easier if you cut the windshield header first and them work toward the rear, as this lessens the chance of breaking off the A pillars. For most convertible conversions you will need  fabricate sun visors and the top boot, and for some you must change the shape of the windshield header (the Merc would be one of these if you couldn't use the Ford part). Hope this helps.