Model Cars Magazine Forum

Something A Little Different

FactoryStock54

This diorama is based on a boyhood memory; there was an old 39 Chevy 4-Door sedan sitting in my grandparents' pasture, rusting away the years by the side of a sinkhole. As kids, my cousins and I used to play in the old car, which we sometimes called "the gangster car" because somebody had, at one point, used the old hulk for target practice and it had a couple very prominent bullet holes in the side! I built this dio to take to last year's family reunion, and presented it to one of my cousins as a gift.

The car is the 1/64 Jada Toys Von Dutch Chevy Sedan (which was a brilliant shade of flourescent purple!) I took it apart, stripped the paint and re-worked it as a factory-stock junker. The terrain was built up with styrofoam blocks, covered over with plaster-soaked paper towels and then "frosted" with additional light-weight hydrocal plaster. Scenic materials (trees, ground cover) and junk details came from my model-railroad supplies. I specially ordered the 1/64 windmill head for this dio, as there had been one in close proximity to the old car back in grandma's pasture.

The actual car was sold to a restorer a few years ago; I'll probably never get to see it, but I am pleased that it will have a new life with shiny paint, refurbished brightwork and a set of wide white sidewalls, chugging along in local parades or competing in car shows. The old Stovebolt Six was in surprisingly good shape last time I saw the car.

Hope you enjoy it! It was a lot of fun to do.

When I can get myself a new digital camera (the ex-wife took the old one with her); I'll post some pix of my recently-completed R&R resin Chevy 4-Door/Revell factory-stock conversion, which I built as I imagined the restored car would look.

post-2622-1207068929_thumb.jpg

post-2622-1207069033_thumb.jpg

post-2622-1207069136_thumb.jpg

post-2622-1207069217_thumb.jpg

Edited by FactoryStock54

I like this alot, to small for me though I have a hard time seeing 1/25 scale. I'm thinking of a 39 Chev. 4 dr., I had one in the 70's, will always regreat selling it. I've only seen the 4drs. in resin, not sure how good they are. Will be watching to see what you come up with. Your work looks real good. :rolleyes: