Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rotator Wrecker Kits?

I got my 2nd right before prices starting climbing on the Will Do. Someday I'll get to the 1st kit.

I have the Can Do, but didn't get Will Do. I need to see if a couple of the hobby shops I go to still have one or two, need to get a few more. I want to build Can Do, but I have a couple other rotators I want to build as well. 

And not sure if this one is a rotator or not, but still cool!

Unfortunately both the Revell Can-Do and Will-Do go for lots of money on ebay, I have both of them and luckilly I bought them when I did.
The Can-Do and Will-Do are rotators but not sliding rotators wich no one has made in kit form yet.

Unfortunately both the Revell Can-Do and Will-Do go for lots of money on ebay, I have both of them and luckilly I bought them when I did.
The Can-Do and Will-Do are rotators but not sliding rotators wich no one has made in kit form yet.

If I remember correctly, the only company in 1:1 that makes a sliding rotator is NRC, and to my knowledge there is not kit equipped with an NRC unit. The pic I posted earlier of the wrecker that is painted like "Optimus Prime" is an NRC unit, just unsure if it is a rotator and/or slider, because NRC does make a non rotating slider unit as well. The unit on the Petes are a Challenger unit, and as for the other two (O'hare's "Mistress" and Jamie Davis' HR 150) I posted pics of the real trucks, I believe they may be heavier capacity Challenger units as well. I know HR 150 was built by Miller Industries in Chattanooga, TN because in one episode of the Weather Channel's (and also aired occasionally on National Geographic Channel as well) "Highway Thru Hell" was based around Jamie Davis going to the factory to take delivery and drive the rotator back to Hope, BC.   

yup, Jamie Davis's rotator is a 75 ton unit. see it in action quite a bit in the winter. his shop is 20 mins down the road from me.

You lucky dog, I won't ever get that close to HR 150, but I did get a chance to see O'Hare's "Mistress" in action a time or two going through the Windy City. I have had the pleasure of actually watching this one in action from a distance of 50 feet. 

It's operated by Nick's Auto Sales in Weirton, WV and one night just as I was getting back to the Walmart DC I operate out of, this and another of their heavy trucks were following me into the DC. As soon as I rounded the curve around the building where the reefers are kept and loaded, I seen why. Another driver was pulling a loaded trailer out of a space and somehow hit the loaded trailer next to them on their right side. It was enough to fold the landing gear under the trailer and dig the right front corner into the asphalt. The trailer didn't roll, but a stiff breeze could have easily finished it off. I parked my tractor across from where the trailer was and watched the show. If I would have remembered to, I should have started the dash cam rolling again and recorded it. 

Is it the new one or the Pete? I happened to stumble across this as I was looking for more info on HR 150, even though just noticed this one had the same unit number. 

I'm doubting it is the one that his brother has at Aggressive, because it appears as if the boom for that truck is in the backdrop, but he could have sold this Pete to him. 

I know the latest episode of the show was kinda sounding with rapid growth into the Alberta oil fields and the growth of the company in general, Jamie may be looking to ease back because it sounded to me that he's getting tired of driving a desk and not the truck, I'd like to see him just stick with the current HR 150, I'm not a big fan of the looks of twin steer trucks, 

I don't know Dan, the last episode of the show Sunday was making it sound like Jamie was wanting to cut back and get back to smaller like when the show started and wanted to be driving again rather than driving the desk. Maybe it is to add a little suspense for the show's sake, but I know every episode makes me think about when I was towing and sort of miss it, then I remember the 4 AM wakeup calls and just getting ready to go to bed and the phone rings for another tow call and it brings me back to my senses! :lol:

I do have to agree with the bigger equipment being a value in the oilfields and not really being the greatest for the Coq, the same is similar here in the area I'm in with the oilfields of OH, WV, and PA. There are a few companies like Nick's I posted earlier (and found out they actually have 3 rotators) that are getting roators for the added work the oilfields and the terrain of the Appalachian Mountains (if you want to call these old hills mountains :lol:) have given the tow companies around here, but still for the normal tow I see the older equipment running. 

Jamie being Jamie, he likes his latest and greatest and shiny chrome, but as Adam once said on the show, he likes his "Antiques Road Show" too! :lol:  

Awesome pics Dan, thanks for sharing those. I am a fan of the show and was wondering what they were going to do with Bruce's truck. Looks like it been retired, at least for now. I wonder if the Old General they were using last season is still around?

Anyone know if someone out there makes 1/24/25 Jaime Davis Towing & Recovery decals? It would be neat to build a replica or two of his trucks, especially his beloved Rotator.

Edited by Leonidas

Awesome pics Dan, thanks for sharing those. I am a fan of the show and was wondering what they were going to do with Bruce's truck. Looks like it been retired, at least for now. I wonder if the Old General they were using last season is still around?

Anyone know if someone out there makes 1/24/25 Jaime Davis Towing & Recovery decals? It would be neat to build a replica or two of his trucks, especially his beloved Rotator.

I agree, thanks Dan for the pics of Bruce's truck. 

Leith, I think it was just a couple of episodes ago that I thought someone, and it may have been Jamie, said that they did retire Bruce's old ride. I can't remember if it was before or after Bruce passed that Howie spun it going to a call on Highway 3 and seen it once or twice on the show after that, but it hasn't been used much if at all since they announced Bruce's passing. 

I don't know if there are any decals out there or not, but maybe if you contact Jerry at modeltruckin.com he might just be able to custom make you a set. 

I'm sure the demand is there for another rotator kit. The Will-Do kits flew off the shelves and have more than doubled in price on the secondary market. Although a "Jamie Davis" Western Star rotator kit would be really cool it's highly unlikely. If nothing else I'm sure Revell would do very well putting out another run of the Will-Do kits.