Model Cars Magazine Forum

Small Block Chevy

You can use whatever Chevy small block engine you like as they looks basically the same on the outside as they are based on the same design regardless of cubic inch displacement.

As stated by Force.  Watch out for the 265 CID in the Revell 55 Chevy as it has no oil filter mount.  You may also have to finagle the motor mounts for your project.  The original vintage (Gen I) Small Block Chevy went up to 400 Cubic Inches in its latter renditions.  Induction options vary all over the place depending on what you want to do, including several aftermarket options.  Also valve covers vary by kit.

It may help to state the project to help you hone in on an option.

Edited by Exotics_Builder

Ah a newby question. You should almost be asking which kit doesn't come a small block Chevy in it? Just kidding! Welcome to the forum. And remember there are no dumb questions out there. Now..... There maybe some dumb answers though. And some may even come from me. So good luck out there. :)

Edited by unclescott58

Hey all

I'm trying to source a 350 small block for a future project.  Which car kits come with a 350?  I know the Revell '69 Nova SS has one and I'll get one if it comes to it, but I would like to explore other options if possible.

Thanks

ANS

If the Nova SS kit purchase is not something you want to do, think about the '57 Chevrolet Black Widow. The kit has two different engines and transmissions. The basic small block with a manual transmission and another block with the Powergluide transmission. There is only one set of heads and intake choices. The advantage to the Nova SS would be to giving you the proper exhaust manifolds or even headers if you wanted to do that.

I'm gonna try to make a 1969 Acadian.  I have the Revell COPO Nova as the base, but it comes with a 427.

Well the 350 in the Revell Nova is a LT1 hi-performance option.  If the Acadian is a stock version, the Revell 63/64 Chevy Small Block should be a close fit , even the air cleaner.  They have Powerglide transmissions.  Don't know how you would handle the air cleaner decals.

Edited by Exotics_Builder

I realize you're probably looking for an engine with stock components primarily, but just for your future reference, both of the engine-only kits below have very nice performance-oriented smallblock Chevy engines. As Force has already noted, all the smallblock Chebbys look much the same externally, and as also noted...EXCEPT for the '55, which lacks the oil filter boss and engine mounts of later engines.

That means you can build an engine to represent a 265-283-302-305-327-350-400 from the same basic parts...block, heads, front cover / water pump, oil pan.

This vintage Revell engine kit is labeled as a 283, but makes a fine base for any of them. It has a Potvin-style front-driven blower and a 2-4bb carb option too. No stock induction or exhaust, but it does have a decent front cover / water pump. pulleys, an excellent 4-bladed fan, and a bellhousing. Generally available for about $4 if you shop around on Ebay.

parts_pack_chevy_283_1024x1024.jpg?v=141

This current-production AMT-labeled kit is a re-release of a '60s kit, also has a nice performance oriented smallblock. Again with a front-blown Potvin style setup, and an optional single 4-bbl.

amtpp11.jpg

How about the 66 nova I think most of the stock parts are in the pro street version too and you can find them anywhere.

vince

That one does have the Nova specific oil pan that would need changed for other applications, but otherwise, it is one of the best rendered small blocks I've seen. It even has the "Double Hump" casting marks on the heads.