Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help with chrome

hi,

I need help with some chrome plating. I am not sure, but I think I remember reading somewhere there are two schools about it. One is using Chrome tech USA and the other using a different company that has a slightly different process (vacuum plating?).

I have no clue about the differences in methods, but I need some things chrome plated in a hurry. Some of the parts are from plastic kits and some are resin castings that I have made. I have to say that I have used Chrometech USA before for some resin wheels I made and I had mixed feelings about the result, altho I was overall satisfied. 

So, please, any help, opinion or advise will be greatly appreciated. What is the best chrome plating service and where to find it?

TIA

P.S. Plaese, I don't need a lecture about Alclad, rubbing powders or black magic. Just the best chrome plating service available. 

Your 2 main options are Chrome Tech, or LMK.

Both use a "Vacuum Metalizing" process, or as you called it "Vacuum Plating"

I've used Chrome Tech numerous times over the past 20 - 25 years, & over all I've been satisfied.

I have never had a lost part in all that time.

If you're planning on mounting parts yourself, lost parts are your responsibility.

Their process seems to have changed a bit over the past few years.

I've had mixed results recently.

The undercoating that they are using has been sprayed much thicker than parts that I had re-done 20 years ago, so covering of some detail has become an issue.

The chrome seems to be a bit more fragile than in years past as well, leading me to believe that it may have something to do with the under coat.

I realize that Bob at Chrome Tech does not actually do the chroming himself, but there is obviously an occasional problem with whomever he has doing it for him.

If you need your parts fast, don't plan on using Chrome Tech.

Their website states a turn around time of 3-4 weeks, but I've never gotten my parts back prior to between 5 & 6 weeks, sometimes a little longer.

Bob does not do the plating himself, so he accumulates enough parts to ship to his plater in one batch about once a month to keep costs reasonable.

I have not tried LMK, but I think I may give him a try soon.

I've heard nothing but good things about his service.

Another option that has become available recently is "Hydro Plating" or "Spray Chrome".

Unfortunately, I have no connections for this process.......yet!

It looks like the real deal & I'm sure it will become a viable option very soon, if it already hasn't.

I'm very excited to give that a try.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I did find a couple of shops that offer "Spray Chroming" services, & I'm sure there are many more.

Most seem to be in Europe & even South Africa at the moment, but I'm sure there must be some in the US that would "stoop" to doing Model car parts.

This one is in Toronto Canada.

Looks promising.

Steve

http://torontospraychrome.com

I sent them a message to see if I could get some information.

I hope everyone on the forum is on board with something like this.

I kind of promised them a bunch of business! :P

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I've used Chrome Tech numerous times for both resin and original parts, no lost parts.  Used LMK once for a couple of racks of resin parts, most came back unusable due to contamination in the plating.

I have used Chrome Tech several times but last few times I had the same problem. Bob offered to re-plate them for free, but that is not good to me - stripping many delicate and customized parts would not be feasible. That was several years ago. Next time I need some parts re-plated, I will use another company.

T

I did find a couple of shops that offer "Spray Chroming" services, & I'm sure there are many more.

Most seem to be in Europe & even South Africa at the moment, but I'm sure there must be some in the US that would "stoop" to doing Model car parts.

This one is in Toronto Canada.

Looks promising.

http://torontospraychrome.com

I sent them a message to see if I could get some information.

I hope everyone on the forum is on board with something like this.

I kind of promised them a bunch of business! :P

Toronto Spray Chrome looks VERY interesting!  The other "plating" types really get my chimes going ... aluminum, brass, bronze, copper, iron, nickel-silver, white bronze, and zinc (Z3) and says these can be "cold alloyed" together to make new materials!

I've never sent anything to the chroming services but this place could change my mind.

We should have a running thread on this process to share your experiences. First person to experience this is it! (wanna bet it's Steve?)

Edited by Foxer

here if I understand right, you are about to paint some wheels and made them looks like chrome, right?

If it is goes that way, I recently had another idea.

I also need to paint some racing wheels and make them looks like chrome but using any 'sliver' paint not enough so I found a tool by WAVE

T2tZdGXANXXXXXXXXX_!!176993944.thumb.jpg

and here is the introduction:

T2FrOZXg0aXXXXXXXX_!!23741921.thumb.jpg.

It looks really nice and chrome , but also it is said that this tool is very toxic. So if you need use it, make sure wearing gloves and mask.

Anyway I'll go try this soon and I hope this gonna help you.;)

Been using Chrome Tech for some 25 years, only a couple problems in that time. One part lost, Bob found another, chromed it and sent it to me. One rack contaminated chrome, (looked like thousands of tiny dust particles in the chrome) Just promo bumpers, no big deal to strip, remount and send back in. Second time was the charm. Both were 20 or more years ago, no problems since, last time was around a year ago - three racks, no problems.

Bob's the real deal. But nobody vacuum metallizes fast, they need 40-50 racks minimum to bring to the plater. Fast would be another type of process, which I don't have any experience in.

I have used Chrome Tech, LMK, & Bob's Paint "Kustom Khrome". I've had beautiful results from LMK, other times, specks under the chrome plating. Same thing with Chrome Tech USA, some parts outstanding, others with runs or specks. Didn't care for Kustom Khrome, all of the hubcaps that I sent had tiny pieces of lint or something under the chrome. Plus, no plating where it was attached to the rack with "special tape" My modified bumper came back cracked where it was pushed down on that "special tape." Never again.

Whenever possible, I send multiples of a part placed on different parts of the rack to hopefully insure getting one very nice piece.

Bumpers & grille on this one plated by Chrome Tech. The hubcaps were plated by LMK.

detail-2.jpg

detail-3.jpg

Chrome Tech again for the bumpers & grille on this one.

front_bumper.thumb.jpg.da8cf9ce98b923af5

rear_bumper.thumb.jpg.ab018f96f80fd06307

Edited by sbk