Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Ford A-Bucket Rat Rod

Bernard Kron

NYuJPqF.jpg
’29 Ford A-Bucket Rat Rod

This model was built as my contribution to the Rat Rod theme table at the 2016 NNL West held in Santa Clara, California. It’s a veritable feast of kit bashing and scratch building, Starting with the modified Ford Model A Roadster Pickup bucket (ex-Ala Kart) from an Ertl issue AMT ’29 Ford Roadster kit, I dove deep into my parts box and kit stash to get this thing done in time. Here are the details:

Scratch built parts: Chassis except for center and rear cross members. Fuel tank. Interior except for dashboard, shift lever and steering wheel. Steering system.
Kit bashed parts: Modified 1929 Model RPU bucket  and firewall from Ertl-issued 1929 Model A Roadster kit. Center cross member, dashboard and windshield from same kit. Monogram 1937 Ford Van Delivery front spring and front axle, ends heated and bent for 3” drop and I-beam drilled. Rear taillight and license plate from same kit. Rear axle, drive shaft and rear brakes from AMT 1934 Ford 5-window coupe. Steering wheel, wire wheels and front tires from same kit. Rear tires from Revell ’40 Ford Standard coupe. Grill and radiator from AMT ’32 Ford Phantom Vicky kit, cut down by half.
Aftermarket and parts box sourced parts: Headers and skull-topped shift level are resin items sourced on eBay. Small block Chevrolet engine from my parts box, of unknown origin. Rear cross member and rear spring also from my parts box, possibly from Monogram ’30 Ford coupe or similar. Headlights are resin pieces from ThePartsBox.com.
Paints and finishes: Hippy Eye Chop Shop logo self designed, Genuine Stolen Parts courtesy of the late Ed Roth, all decals home made. Body and fuel tank basic color is Krylon Gumdrop purple. Undercoat throughout is Duplicolor Red Primer. Frame, firewall and wheels finished in Testors Gloss Custom Red Metalflake enamel. Upholstery finished in Testors Acryl British Crimson, then weathered to simulate distressed leather. Weathering powders courtesy of Bragdon Enterprises. Miscellaneous parts finished in various shades of Testors Metalizers and Krylon premium Chrome. All surfaces sealed in Testors DullCote or Tamiya Flat Clear Acrylic.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

2WE1lX7.jpg
H1FaCjQ.jpg
zdE1LES.jpg
IWOhX3P.jpg
Iy7kLY9.jpg
uDXDmz1.jpg
P9xLFRj.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Very well thought out model and excellent recycling from your parts box. The Rat Rods I tend to like most are those which would also look good shiny and yours certainly fits that category. I especially like the way the gas tank fits between the body and the rear cross member.