Model Cars Magazine Forum

1988 - 1991 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Scratchbuild

Yes!

As well as each of the other incarnations of the 79-91 box body Panther platform in due time. I HOPE to do at least one of each of the big 3's four door police offerings from 71-91.  Hope hope hope.  Some are already in the pipeline. Baked in the cake. frigged in the pudding (?!) not sure on that last one, but I'm sure they used it on one of the current news shows.

The folks that love creating new euphemisms over just saying something simple like...  it's coming... :blink:

D.

well, I'm particularly interested in the '85 and '87 Grand Marquis. My parents had those cats when I was a kid. 

This is a very ambitious project, I'm sure and I can't wait to see the finished product!

Great hob on all these cars.I once owned a 91 Ford Crown Vic,unmarked detectives PD car...Man I loved that car...It was the only car i ever owned,where other drivers would completely respect me on the road.No tail gating.No cut offs,etc.It was fun watching other drivers get out of my way..The car was completely UN marked,except for a drivers side spot light,and the dog dish hubcaps.I had the car repainted,and it looked brand new.The Police were still using the car at the time..It  was only a few years old,anyway,it was Lotsa fun just cruising around in the car...???

Thanks guys.  Working late at night and feverishly.  even neglecting the yard work!!

Hope to have a couple of other things to show soon as well. Stay tuned..

• 3 weeks later...

One quick update..  I had to tear it up a bit AGAIN..  The wheel well openings were too 'tight' on the tires and the C-Pillar rake was still wrong.  It stood up too straight and less fastback slope.   I have a computer with two screens. Back a week ago I had brought pics of it to post.but before I did d before I did I put a side view pic of the model on one screen and a side view pic of the a 1:1 CVPI on the second screen.  The n I did that thing like the old cartoons when I wa a kid where you had two pics and you looked for the added or deleted things.. Back and forth back and forth ... That's when I saw those items  and I could not leave it be. (Posted pics below for you to see what I mean..)  I'm sorry it's still taking time but I want it to be able to sit on the shelf with your styrene offerings and not look too out of place. Anyway, I do hope to trim it out and finish it this long weekend as all the hard bodywork is DONE...

170525 - 91 CV - Almost done.. REALLY!.JPG

160407 -  91 CV.JPG

Edited by DEL

Oh, and another sneak peek of a little thing I'm working on...  here's a hint: I got this from a complete glossary of Sylvester Stallone/Rambo speeches and catchphrases: in other words a 3X5 index card with the word "Yo" printed on it... :P

170525 - 77 LTD II (7).JPG

170525 - 77 LTD II (2).JPG

170525 - 77 LTD II (1).JPG

170525 - 77 LTD II (11).JPG

Oh, and another sneak peek of a little thing I'm working on...  here's a hint: I got this from a complete glossary of Sylvester Stallone/Rambo speeches and catchphrases: in other words a 3X5 index card with the word "Yo" printed on it... :P

170525 - 77 LTD II (7).JPG

170525 - 77 LTD II (2).JPG

170525 - 77 LTD II (1).JPG

170525 - 77 LTD II (11).JPG

Looks like a 77-79 Ford LTD II 4dr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Close to DONE final update pics.  Got the moldings all back on, tailights detailed, small crown & ford badges, added a front bumper lic plate bracket and had to do a bit of mods to the interior tub.(I even made a hood ornament but forgot to include it.)  But I mean it when I 'm finally ready to say this is it. It's as close as I can get on this one. I've learned a lot and it will all help me with the other incarnations. 

Oh, BTW: I scratchbuilt a Whelen edge 9000 just for kicks to have something to display with it. Hope ya'll like it.

D

170618 - 91 CVPI (12).JPG

170618 - 91 CVPI (11).JPG

170618 - 91 CVPI (9).JPG

170618 - 91 CVPI (8).JPG

170618 - 91 CVPI (3).JPG

170618 - 91 CVPI (2).JPG

170618 - 91 CVPI (1).JPG

170618 - 91 CVPI (6).JPG

170618 - 91 CVPI (5).JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks friends.. Here are a few comparison shots plus a couple that shows how it will assemble promo-style with four point contact screws.

Eliminating the need for crypto-cyo-cryanulates (wTf?!) superglues as it were and the inherent problems that resin has in assembly should hopefully be a welcome different kind of modeling experience (?)  peruse at your leisure..

Thanks again...

170629 - Update and comp (4).JPG

170629 - Update and comp (9).JPG

170629 - Update and comp (1).JPG

170629 - Update and comp (2).JPG

170629 - Update and comp (3).JPG

170629 - Update and comp (13).JPG

170629 - Update and comp (11).JPG

170629 - Update and comp (10).JPG

170629 - Update and comp (12).JPG

Looks good.

Just one small observation: It appears that the vertical pillar that you attached to the back windows should be straighter to match the real car. Not completely straight but also not running flush with the car's C pillar.

Looks good.

Just one small observation: It appears that the vertical pillar that you attached to the back windows should be straighter to match the real car. Not completely straight but also not running flush with the car's C pillar.

I noticed that myself subsequent to the pics you see. Rest easy, it's already been done. Final pics to come when I finish the H/Lights and park lights up front.

I would get one of these not so much for a police car, but for the fact that it's a four door, and four doors are woefully lacking in today's model world. Vinyl roof and all, and you gotta have whitewalls on it! B)

I'd like to see a 77 LTD II Sport myself....the 4 door is cool too.....

LTDII0.jpg

Dave, I'm with you 100%! Another one of my '70's favorites.........takes me back to high school when this car was new. Now throw in a '77-'79 T-Bird?? You just made the rest of the decade for me!

I would get one of these not so much for a police car, but for the fact that it's a four door, and four doors are woefully lacking in today's model world. Vinyl roof and all, and you gotta have whitewalls on it! B)

Dave, I'm with you 100%! Another one of my '70's favorites.........takes me back to high school when this car was new. Now throw in a '77-'79 T-Bird?? You just made the rest of the decade for me!

Guy across the street when I was in HS bought a new LTD II just like the one above. I LOVED that car.....thought it was so cool. 

I've been hitting up Revell for a 77 Thunderbird in the style of the 77 Monte Carlo kit.....I think it would be as popular and a sales hit. 

I've been hitting up Revell for a 77 Thunderbird in the style of the 77 Monte Carlo kit.....I think it would be as popular and a sales hit. 

At this past NNL East, I spoke to Ed Sexton directly about that car. I mentioned to him that they have the basic "bones" of the car with their Starsky and Hutch Torino. He raised his eyebrows and nodded his head in agreement, and it was one of the cars mentioned several times on "The Most Wanted List" that I posted here a while back that Revell had available.

I told him that I wouldn't care if it's a snapper...........all the better if it means we can at least get a KIT of the car. Doing it the way of the Monte Carlo would be a good idea------that era T-Bird is popular with the lowrider crowd. ;)