Model Cars Magazine Forum

1988 - 1991 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Scratchbuild

Looks like it is coming along nicely Mike.  AND it looks like you will not be able to tell it's been amputated after all is said and done.  Perfect!

Thanks for the help on this again.  To the both of you!

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, Maindrian Pace said:

Hey Greg, can I have one too? B)

Greg stopped by with a resin copy hood, revisions under way. It was about 1/8" thick in the middle; it doesn't have to be like that in the resin, so I thinned it more to scale.

IMG_0272_zpsciwdmv9d.jpg

You certainly can have one for certain, probably more.  What you do is of great importance to the success of this project and other projects.  I don't do what I do alone.  My goal is to be superior to Modelhaus but I am going to need some backup.  Just don't know how to get there.  I do still work a 40hr  job and I have been stuck doing standby calls for several days so I may have to drive 70 miles to fix stupid plumbing stuff.  I do have Rocky Smith helping out but more help is needed.

Edited by Greg Wann

18 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

You certainly can have one for certain, probably more.  What you do is of great importance to the success of this project and other projects.  I don't do what I do alone.  My goal is to be superior to Modelhaus but I am going to need some backup.  Just don't know how to get there.  I do still work a 40hr  job and I have been stuck doing standby calls for several days so I may have to drive 70 miles to fix stupid plumbing stuff.

Greg , you seek an obtainable goal . Keep at it . Thanx .. 

Fantastic news.

I had ONE I had managed to mill out on my Dremel, after about 8 tries.  Always nice if someone else can give it to you.  Sorry to hear MH stuff won't be available any more at all, though.  I suppose..

Yes, I think the goal can be attainable.  While Modelhaus limited there work to 1:24 and 1:25 scale cars and trucks there must be many other subjects and scales that are in need of supply.  I think a decent size group of people could stay pretty busy.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Ronnie.  Mike has been working on the body to create a buck for the vacuum form window glass set.  Dwayne said we should look into getting tires and Mike agreed.  Dwayne told me the police car came with Goodyear Golden Eagle GT+4 225 15 tires.  I sent a email to Chief Joseph about creating and providing tires to me in a bulk order but have not heard from him.  I guess 200 tires is a lot to think about.  Dwayne created a chassis too.  This is just going to have to become part of the kit.  He had to make a Lindburg chassis longer with a few details changed.  While these parts will save the purchaser/builder money buy not spending extra dough to get to a happy ending, it will add expense to the kit price which is still undecided and we really hate pricing something this unique out of a modelers budget.  It only makes sense that a less expensive kit will sell more and this is good for everybody.  Dwayne has created quite a masterpiece for certain.  He started with a 1970 1:24 scale Roadrunner.  The detail around the doors is impressive.  I am in hopes that removing a cast body from the mold will not become a problem.  Mike and I discussed this point.  I might just need to make the sides of the mold a bit thinner since I cradle a poured mold in a bent piece of sheet metal to hold the sides tight.  It is difficult to guess what happens to a mold under approximately 65 PSI air pressure.

Hey Greg, as discussed it would be fantastic if the proper tire could be sourced for this kit.  It may have been different around the rest of the country but here the Ford Police Package cars were delivered in the following progression:

197?-1983 Goodyear Blue Streak Radial

1. 197?-1983 Goodyear Blue Streak Radial    HR or KR-70-15 or P225/235-70R15
  2. 1984-1988 Goodyear Eagle GT                    P225-70R15
  3. 1988-1994 Goodyear Eagle GT +4              P225-70R15
  4. 1994-1997 Goodyear Eagle RS-A                 P225-70R15
  5. 1998-2007. Goodyear Eagle RS-A                P235-70R16

Either of the above highlighted would work for the 1991 Ford Crown Victoria,  The 88-89 CV's were seen with the primarily with the earlier 84-88 prior GT's.

In searching for pics of tread patterns or examples it came up that Fireball ModelWorks markets the Eagle GT in the P235/60R15 size. The Blackwall side would be the applicable view on this kit.  It looks quite nice and would easily serve on this model if the size proves out in display on built-up model. If memory serves there was a company that sold (SATCO?) back in the late 80's early 90's a version of the Eagle GT tire for models.  I think I bought a set and the tread was deep and sharp but they were sized for the Firebird and Camaro models of the day (215) and so were just too small on a full size model sedan.  Shame.  Still no one has done the GT+4 yet an that would be a nice option to have as well.

Fireball FMR-020 1-24  Goodyear Eagle GT P235-60R15.jpg

EGoodyear Eagle GT.JPGEagle GT

Goodyear Eagle GT+4  a.jpegEAGLE GT +4

Goodyear Eagle GT+4.jpgEagle GT +4

Edited by DEL