Model Cars Magazine Forum

1988 - 1991 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Scratchbuild

Allright now Mike, that is just gorgeous work.  The clear lenses turned out better than I had hoped.

And a darn fine job on the molding of that replacement hood.  A coat of primer and no difference will be seen at all.

I've been looking for one of those 67-68 Galaxie 500's to do a 4dr of it.  Always go for silly money on eRap,  er, EBay.  Heh, heh.  I'll keep watchin.. :D   Thanks for all the work blood sweat n tears guys..  A Nova is coming this week!

Bob I spoke to Mike S. last night who has been giving Greg a hand with the setup of the assembly line  & organizing the workspace on these things and he feels that they are quite close to announcing.

It's a multi-part kit that requires many different molds for the individual parts.  As mentioned earlier in the thread it was built so that it would go together with screws like a promo and so would need very little in the way of superglues or other binding agents to complete it. Subbing in an alternate chassis, I don't know if the Torino would fit without modification in some way.  This kit uses a modified Lindbergh chassis from their 97 Crown Vic kit as it is the virtually exactly the same on wheelbase and detail. Just some small changes to exhaust layout and radiator fan area and it's perfect.

On the other hand, I don't know if Greg gas any plans to offer a partial kit with the main body & other parts and the buyer supply his own finish parts. Personally, I don't like having to buy a separate kit to rob parts from it to complete a resin kit. Look at all the other unused stuff you have left over that is more or less 'wasted" (?) in that fashion.  But I don't know, everyone is different. Once it's up and running it would be Greg's decision as to if he would do such a partial kit. I don't know.  Still, I feel this one is almost ready to make itself known at long last.  Thanks for the question!

I am impressed by the craftmanship and spirit to keep this going until you guys have a product to offer,great work! 

Looks like a very nice kit,and i like the fact it has open hood so the builder can chose where to go from there.

1 hour ago, om617 said:

I am impressed by the craftmanship and spirit to keep this going until you guys have a product to offer,great work! 

Looks like a very nice kit,and i like the fact it has open hood so the builder can chose where to go from there.

Thank you very much, Tommy!

Later we may add an engine to the kit but for now, as you said, the hood is separate and most modelers can plumb in one if they like.  It wouldn't be too hard.  Thank you for the kind comments! 

This has sure been a fascinating look into the development and process of a long awaited subject ^_^

Now I'm wondering if anyone's been working on a conversion of the '92 '96 (oops) into the more desirable '98-'12 CV...

mike

Edited by mk11

1 hour ago, mk11 said:

This has sure been a fascinating look into the development and process of a long awaited subject ^_^

Now I'm wondering if anyone's been working on a conversion of the '92 into the more desirable '98-'12 CV...

mike

I wish there was a '92! My second car was a '92. It'd be cool to have a conversion from the '96-97 Crown Vic to the '92 and then the '98-12. 

I have a 92 about half done that I started some years ago.  I DID not figure there was much interest so I shelved it to go on with these others. But I have been planning to re-visit it and do the 92-94 versions to fill in the 'hole' so to speak.

As to the 98-2012 version, I made my own conversion of one back around 2000 or so. Right about the time I finished it the die-cast came out. (my timing is impeccable)  I figured most folks would probably prefer the cheaper di-cast so I just put my (then) 98-02 version away.  There's a few (rough early digital) pics of it. Here now.  I even built it that funny full-size hubcap that were on them the first two years AND a scratchbuilt Whelen 9000 with the "V" shaped over the top siren..

LFQ 1.jpg

LFQ 2.jpg

LRQ.jpg

RFQ a.jpg

RF.jpg

lfq 3.jpg

front.jpg

Scratch wheels, bdy mldg, wheelcvrs.jpg

DCP_0004-vi.jpg

Copy9ofDCP_0004_1-vi (2).jpg

The modification was done using the (then) recently released Lindbergh 97 CVPI.

I made the backup lights and tail lamps out of extra clear & red sprue.  I put some ground up bits of the sprue in these very small glass bottles I found and added some liquid glue to break it down to a thickish liquid. I already had the parts built out of white styrene, so I made molds of them and when the melted sprue was ready, I poured them into the proper molds and gave them a couple days to gas out. Voila! colored/clear parts.  The headlights were carved out of block styrene, detailed then covered with BMF and then clear styrene sheet glued on over them to make the lenses. I left the front door moldings off just like the real cars were shipped from Ford. On the real cars they are loose in the trunk and the end agency can decide to use them or not depending on badging & agency markings.

You can't see it in these pics but I had heck with the grille. That funny chicken wire shape to the air flow part. Terry Jessee gave me a general tip ages ago to look for what you may need like that on another kit of the same general era or vehicle builder. Bingo. I found the same kind of grille texture on a 99 or 2000 F-150 kit I think. Molded it and cast a piece, then formed it and added it into the grille surround I built for the header.

All that and then the di-cast comes out. Like 20 minutes before I finished this one.  O well.:(

Edited by DEL

Hi All, Here is a tire mold that Mike started Sunday and I finished during the week.  This is the second batch in this mold.  The first batch was four really nice tires out of six.  The second batch after a little more venting  gave me six out of six.  This is Polytek PT flex 60 with a little black dye added.  This is really good.  I can only hope it will perform consistently.  Notice the fine dark lines in the mold?  Those are lines I cut with a exacto knife to help vent the mold.  I use 70 PSI with lots of weight on it.  In the first photo, the part on the right is the molds lid.  Mike clayed up to the line on the tire.  I'm uncertain what that line is but most all tires have it.  That part started out as clay with the tires setting on them.  With this in mind, kit production can get under way.  Terry Jessee Got his and he was impressed.  Most likely it will get magazine coverage.  Mike and I decided to send each kit with the two different styles of door panels, dashes and steering wheels so the builder can decide what year they want to build.

So...the kit I sent to Terry weighed just under 12 ounces, I thought it would weigh much more.  It cost $5.15 to mail it to him from here in Sun City.

88 to 91 Ford CV 67.JPG

88 to 91 Ford CV 68.JPG

88 to 91 Ford CV 69.JPG

Edited by Greg Wann

Beautiful work guys!

I liked the tires you sent me that last time, couldn't find anything to complain about.  Those look gorgeous!

As nice as any tire in any standard styrene kit I ever built.  Those tires are something else, they really are..

PS: for those reading this Greg & Mike sent me a couple of the mostly done kits to examine and I have to say I believe those of you interested in this one are going to be knocked out. This is no slush cast irregular slapdash junk here.  Greg & Mike believe as I do that if you aren't going to produce a solid reputable product you would be happy to display on your shelf right along with the big kit maker's stuff, then it should not even be done at all.

They've put a LOT of sweat equity into this one. I believe those who choose to get one will be very pleasantly surprised.  I keep meaning to post pics but this week has been unusually busy for me. Perhaps over the weekend. Thanks to all interested.

Edited by DEL

Hi All,

Terry warned me that this is going to be a wildly popular kit, especially after he takes it on his forums of choice.  He is going to be our advertising guy.  There is a guy named Tom Sheehy that wants one.  Apparently he is some kind of Guru in the police car/light commercial model scene.  I have no intent of making anybody mad.  So, I just would like everyone to know that I want to start on the list of interested people that has sent me contact information through this board.  I still work a 40 hour a week job that I really don't like going to anymore when I know this is something I could stay home and do.  As your kit/kits are ready to mail, I will ask for payment then.  I don't want to be a rip off guy.  If you pay me and I die or get too sick to make your parts it's hard to tell when you will get your money back.

26 minutes ago, 6883michaelw said:

Hi Greg, I posted back on May 12th that I would like 2 of these wonderful kits. Just wanted to make sure you have me on the list. If you need my info email me at mjwierz@hotmail.com. 

Thank you Michael, I will do that.

7 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

Hi All,

Terry warned me that this is going to be a wildly popular kit, especially after he takes it on his forums of choice.  He is going to be our advertising guy.  There is a guy named Tom Sheehy that wants one.  Apparently he is some kind of Guru in the police car/light commercial model scene.  I have no intent of making anybody mad.  So, I just would like everyone to know that I want to start on the list of interested people that has sent me contact information through this board.  I still work a 40 hour a week job that I really don't like going to anymore when I know this is something I could stay home and do.  As your kit/kits are ready to mail, I will ask for payment then.  I don't want to be a rip off guy.  If you pay me and I die or get too sick to make your parts it's hard to tell when you will get your money back.

I've been in contact with Dwayne since he asked for emails a few months back. Just want to make sure I'm on the list for two. Thanks!

What's in the kit?  Here is a packing list I created.  I Think this is it.   The chassis has engine detail molded in so it can be built promo style.

1 Body
    1 Chassis
    1 hood
    2 door mirrors
    1 hood ornament
    1 glass set
    1 light set
    1 front facia
    1 front seat
    1 front bumper
    1 front grille
    1 rear bumper
    1 interior tub
    2 dashes
    2 steering wheels
    2 steering columns
    4 door panels
    4 wheel backs
    4 wheels
    4 hub caps
    4 tires

Edited by Greg Wann

On 9/7/2018 at 4:09 PM, Greg Wann said:

There is a guy named Tom Sheehy that wants one.  Apparently he is some kind of Guru in the police car/light commercial model scene.

Tom is one of the best police, fire and emergency vehicle modelers bar none. Unfortunately, his Fotki page is gone. You can still check out some of his models at copcar dot com's Fotki page in the Modeler's Bench folder.

On 9/7/2018 at 11:02 PM, Againmikewins said:

I've been in contact with Dwayne since he asked for emails a few months back. Just want to make sure I'm on the list for two. Thanks!

Indeed you are Mike, like #4 on my list, which I am forwarding to Greg this week..

On 9/8/2018 at 6:35 PM, junkyardjeff said:

I would love to have one to build,I do have a 89 I use for a winter beater.

You are on the list Jeff with the "G" box checked. :D

...Makin a list.. Checkin it twice.. gonna find out who's ...   Oh, Never mind.  :angry:

Greg and Mike almost have it honed to a military precision.  Crown Vics into Poland!!

10 hours ago, DEL said:

...Makin a list.. Checkin it twice.. gonna find out who's ...   Oh, Never mind.  :angry:

Greg and Mike almost have it honed to a military precision.  Crown Vics into Poland!!

I PM'd you last night with a reservation.  Hopefully you will provide some sort of acknowledgement to those people who PM'd you, to let them know that the pre-order has been received.

11 hours ago, peteski said:

I PM'd you last night with a reservation.  Hopefully you will provide some sort of acknowledgement to those people who PM'd you, to let them know that the pre-order has been received.

Peter, I answer each and every one of my PM's, and believe me, I ignore no one.  And I DO make mistakes so I just double checked prior to answering you because I did get about five PM's recently, with new requests or to be reassured they were on the pre preorder list, but I don't see one from you.

Consider yourself added to my list which will be forwarded to Greg.

If anyone else sent me a message and did not get a response from me please let me know here, I guess. Or try sending to Greg Wann as he is doing the casting itself.  My mailbox says I've only used 39% so it can't be an overflow situation I would think.

Puzzled.  Anyway, consider yourself added, and thanks!