Model Cars Magazine Forum

1988 - 1991 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Scratchbuild

• 3 months later...
22 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

Men in Black 3 shows the AMT 1964 Galaxie

mamameetingaugust18013.jpg

Missing Link Resin did a nice 64 Galaxie 500 4 Door Sedan Transkit for the AMT 64 Galaxie 500 XL Hardtop kit. They also did the Galaxie 500 full wheelcovers in chrome, which I used on my build in lieu of the dog dish hubcaps and steelies that came with the transkit. 

The original Men in Black LTD Crown Victoria is the variation of this kit that Dwayne has created when he did this car. It should be forthcoming.

29 minutes ago, Ron Hamilton said:

variation of this kit that Dwayne has created when he did this car. It should be forthcoming.

I am.  The 79-87 version is one of about four I work on in rotation.  I had used an existing resin copy of the 91 CVPI and already made the trunk and rear valance modifications, and I have started on the front header panel.  The first one being the 79-82 one headlight LTD-S version. When that's done I'll do the 83-79 version.  That one is the version used in the MIB shows I recall.  And also in Dan Aykroyd's version of Dragnet in 1987 as well. The one he drove so slow he tikked off  Tom Hanks Strebeck character. :P

Just now, DEL said:

I am.  The 79-87 version is one of about four I work on in rotation.  I had used an existing resin copy of the 91 CVPI and already made the trunk and rear valance modifications, and I have started on the front header panel.  The first one being the 79-82 one headlight LTD-S version. When that's done I'll do the 83-79 version.  That one is the version used in the MIB shows I recall.  And also in Dan Aykroyd's version of Dragnet in 1987 as well. The one he drove so slow he tikked off  Tom Hanks Strebeck character. :P

That's why I had to remind them. I would love to get one of these and turn it into a Crown Victoria with the 1/2 Vinyl Roof, alloy wheels and whitewalls in Triple black. A good friend of mine had a 2 Door in that color combination. I like that series of Ford very much.

19 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

That's why I had to remind them. I would love to get one of these and turn it into a Crown Victoria with the 1/2 Vinyl Roof, alloy wheels and whitewalls in Triple black. A good friend of mine had a 2 Door in that color combination. I like that series of Ford very much.

Hopefully all three versions will be done by end of year.

As mentioned before I bought and sold late model used police cars from 1982 to well, now, really. But in total earnest until 2005.  I had a partner in Denham Springs near Baton Rouge and he could sell as many as quick as I could get them to him.  As a result, I bought and sold personally several in each of those years and the Ford Crown Vic or LTD was my fav of the lot though I bought all of the Big 3's police offerings at one time or other.  The following are the thre main differences in the grilles that occurred from 1979-1987 until the version represented by our current 88-91 LTD Crown Victoria kit. The first single headlight grille one is 75% complete, the second header is identical from 1979-87 with only a change in grille marked by the year seperations (and two different versions of Tailights as well)  The last one shown the 83 LTD CVPI was my fav of about six i bought and sold into mostly taxi slavery.  I really loved that body-style and color keyed rims as well.

First The 1979-1982 LTD-S and base LTD..

5c76b14f56177_79LTDSd.jpg.2319d8093682f9bb21e38ac7dcb2a8b0.jpg

Next the 79-82 Quad Lamp LTD Crown Victoria with the small crosshatch grille.

5c76b246953aa_LSP82LTD(rstd).jpg.bf57cfeb7a1c7b00b0e1ad6fe57ea659.jpg

And finally the last version the 83-87 LTD Crown Victoria with the larger open square grille. I'm sure there's a technical name I just don't know it.  Ford-Junkie that I am.  This was my favorite of the 83-87 versions, an 83 from the LSP I got in 1986 with 80K miles. I could cry for wishin' I still had it.  I had some of the 82 versions in pic 2 as well, but the 83's were 'fancier' and just looked better IMHO.

5c76b42ef0b60_LSP1983FordLTDCrownVictoriafrt.jpg.d9fc59f3c0b83910b89634fa347196a2.jpg

Through Dwayne or I .  I have a lot of catching up to do.  I am in need of making a new chassis mold.  It is really holding up progress.  I can't get a good one to come out.  Also I am back to work at my job so I don't get to spend all day there making parts.  I do have another guy in training to help me out, that should help some.  He is a professional model builder and he lives close to me too.  I am also working on other projects as well.

Is this crown vic still available? This is my brothers holy grail & I'd like to try and find one for him. And is the ltd II available? I'd like to get one of those for myself. 

Edited by Railroad
Wanted to add to message.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 11:51 PM, Railroad said:

Thanks for the reply greg. How does 1 put an order in for 1. I am new to this site and can't seem to figure out how to private message people. Thanks, randy

If you point to the Initial avatar under Greg's name, a box will appear and there will be a message link in that box.

On 3/26/2019 at 4:13 PM, DEL said:

You can send requests to Greg by em directly at mastercaster1@cox,net.

Thanks guys!  Dwayne..

I messed up on this (Above earlier message)  I should have also said you can contact me at ntvypr@msn.com and I will add your name to a list I forward to Greg every four or five names or so.

Please send to us how many kits you want, ($110.00 ea and that includes shipping CONUS) your mailing address and Paypal address.  Nothing will be charged until the kit(s) are ready, you are contacted and confirmation received that you still want (XX) number of kits.

We are all still coming out of winter hibernation, but hopefully, we will be back up to speed soon.   Thanks!!   DL

Edited by DEL

Nice Ron!  the first one I've seen close to builtup.  I'm working on one myself o so slowly..  I had thought I might actually be the first to come out of the gate with one.  

But I'm not and glad to be beaten! (In that one way anyway:D)

Nice work again, and thanks for sharing..