Model Cars Magazine Forum

1988 - 1991 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Scratchbuild

On 4/4/2019 at 6:24 AM, am73grand said:

Here's on I'm working on. The lightbar is just sitting there. I swapped out the kit hubcaps for an aluminum set from Parts by Parks. It's almost done. I'll post pics in the under glass section when it's finished.

0404190436-vi.jpg

Looks good sir!! One suggestion, before you button that light bar down, might want to lower it a little closer to the roof. I drove several police cars with that very same Federal JetSonic, and they mount very close to the roof. So close that you couldn't really clean under them LOL!!

The Panther platform P71 Crown Vic were the very best police cars on the road.But I love all year Vics.I just Like that boxy look.Great cars for sure.This is my 09.Well the bottom pic is.Just threw on those tail lights.The entire car was blacked out completely.No chrome.I Couldn't find a decent priced Marauder,so the Vic was the next best thing.Just Installed as set of Flowmasters,KnN filter.A couple of other things.Then I'll do a set of under drive pulleys.This is one scary fast,but fun car.I just really gotta watch my foot on that pedal.You tap it,and it just takes off.Talking about Monster torque.Crown Vics,,any year are just great cars,IMO.

IMG_7999.JPG

IMG_8041.JPG

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:09 PM, NYLIBUD said:

The Panther platform P71 Crown Vic were the very best police cars on the road.But I love all year Vics.I just Like that boxy look.Great cars for sure.This is my 09.Well the bottom pic is.Just threw on those tail lights.The entire car was blacked out completely.No chrome.I Couldn't find a decent priced Marauder,so the Vic was the next best thing.Just Installed as set of Flowmasters,KnN filter.A couple of other things.Then I'll do a set of under drive pulleys.This is one scary fast,but fun car.I just really gotta watch my foot on that pedal.You tap it,and it just takes off.Talking about Monster torque.Crown Vics,,any year are just great cars,IMO.

IMG_7999.JPG

IMG_8041.JPG

Actually, no they weren't. The Ford CVPI went to the #1 spot due to GM ceasing production of the Caprice 9C1. They remained #1 in fleet sales due to the fact they were the only RWD, full frame, 4 door sedan in production between '96 and '11.  Us cops liked that.  The Caprice 9C1 with the LT1 engine consistently outperformed the Ford CVPI in all areas that mattered. The Fords were rugged and reliable, but they were slow. Also, they burned more oil than the retreating Iraqi army. This did lead to many a blown engine. I did it early one morning responding on a hot call right after roll call.

The original '92-97 CVPI's, with the 4.6l engine, did not have any low end torque to speak of. It was all high RPM horsepower. About the time I was really getting rolling in one, I had to slow or stop at the next intersection.  They were also very unstable at speed.  After the rock solid Caprice, you felt you were ice skating when driving a '92-'97 Ford. After the introduction of the Watts link rear end in '98, the car handled a lot better. It would still swap ends in a heartbeat though.  Ford did retune the system for more low end torque. 

The Caprice was notoriously front end heavy. She would oversteer like a B at times. Young coppers unfamiliar with RWD scared the you know what out of themselves the first time they punched it a LT1, 9C1. Early Caprices overheated at the drop of a hat in Midwestern summers. Brakes were sketchy early on. They got better in later years.

GM's replacement for the Caprice, the 2000 FWD Impala is and remains an evil handling, slow POS. Great detective cars, I drive one now BTW, but awful radio cars. I cannot even imagine using one on the highway daily. 

As retail cars, the Panther platform was a beast. I drove a Lincoln Town Car for 12 years with little problems. I still miss that beast. 

G

The Panther got a lot better with the suspension redesign in 2003 that included an aluminum front crossmember and control arms, rack and pinion steering, 13" brakes, and 17" wheels. I've driven a few of those, including a rare opportunity to drive a brand new '06 with 45 miles on it, and it was kinda quick (4.6 liters will never really be happy dragging 4,000 pounds around) but the handling and braking were very good, with some penalty to ride quality. Those final iterations were very specialized cars, and the cops I've spoken to really liked them, with the only occasional complaint being power. Practically indestructible, even in police use, many departments still have them in their fleets; including my city of Mesa, some of which are ten years old. They stockpile parts and they have a favorite body shop whose owner is a Panther enthusiast himself, and keeps them looking mint at all times. It is nice still seeing them in traffic.

Edited by Maindrian Pace
Correct year of car

• 2 months later...

A new body mold is needed.  Mike gave a new master a good going over.  He added more vitamins and minerals and improved the taste too.  Please give Mike a standing ovation for all he does for us, and another thank you to Dwayne too for creating this kit for the modeling community.  I will be updating some molds for other parts too.  I have another pair of hands in my shop to help out as well.  Marty is helping when he has the time and lives closer to me than Mike does.

CV body update 1.JPG

CV body update 2.JPG

CV body update 3.JPG

CV body update 4.JPG

Looks great!  *sniff*  My baby's growin' up!! :(

Nah, a new set of molds was finally needed and Mike Schnur gave the 'ol girl a little love and attention around the wheel wells.  Added a different kind of wheelip molding too as seen.

As always many thanks to Mike for his support and help in so many ways, and especially to Greg on the casting. The solid, REAL artistry in that work there. Welcome too to Mr. Marty for giving Greg a much needed extra set of hands and energy to the project.

My thanks to all, as always.  And thank you to any and all above who expressed kind views on my original work, in case I missed anyone. Although it's next to impossible to make everyone happy, I hope most are if that is at all possible.

As the words of wisdom printed above the urinal once said: We aim to please, your aim will help!B)  Words I try to live by!

..hmm ..wait a sec..:wacko:

Beautiful execution and casting. Now do the civilian version with wide rocker moldings, wheel covers or cast wheels and vinyl top and I would be seriously interested. The state and police body never caught my eye or mattered that much to me. And not really wanting to make wide rockers, the Crown roof, or hunt up cast aluminum wheels !!!

21 hours ago, DEL said:

Looks great!  *sniff*  My baby's growin' up!! :(

Nah, a new set of molds was finally needed and Mike Schnur gave the 'ol girl a little love and attention around the wheel wells.  Added a different kind of wheelip molding too as seen.

As always many thanks to Mike for his support and help in so many ways, and especially to Greg on the casting. The solid, REAL artistry in that work there. Welcome too to Mr. Marty for giving Greg a much needed extra set of hands and energy to the project.

My thanks to all, as always.  And thank you to any and all above who expressed kind views on my original work, in case I missed anyone. Although it's next to impossible to make everyone happy, I hope most are if that is at all possible.

As the words of wisdom printed above the urinal once said: We aim to please, your aim will help!B)  Words I try to live by!

..hmm ..wait a sec..:wacko:

We are looking forward to doing more projects with you, Dwayne.  Your master making abilities are very, very good.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:47 AM, Greg Wann said:

The body does look really nice.  When this mold is done and working like I want I will get a copy prepped for another mold.  This way I plan to have two good molds operational.  We want a CV in every display case. 

Yes it does. Looking forward to the retail version. Will grab one myself then. This one is great looking but interests me not because of no half vinyl, crown molding, or wide rockers. But if one like that is cast, count me in !!

• 2 months later...

We have been working to create new molds for parts to this kit.  I clayed up a six pack of these little boogers, they are the hood ornaments.  This is the first set I have made.  Due to them getting lost or broken easily I have been adding a six pack with each hood.  I might have whipped the problems with clear resin too, it is a real pita.  Everybody that wants one or two or more will get them, it is just taking a good bit of time.

Greg

88 to 91 Ford CV 72.jpg