Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '65 GTO hardtop,, update,, interior done

Can-Con

I've been wanting to do one for a while. Got a front bumper from Modelhaus and some Tiger Gold paint from Scale Finishes last month so  I started on it last week. 

Turns out glueing the top on wasn't that hard. Just need to keep it lined up properly. After it was fully dry, I filed a small trough where the roof meets the windshield and glued in a small strip of plastic to fill the seam.

Also added the trim and seams for the vinyl roof.

I added some detail to the sides of the hood opening. It's really easy to do but seems not many people do it.

IMG 1899

IMG 1898

Edited by Can-Con

Looks good so far Steve.  I like the detail that you've done on this car.  I have an original kit that I built while I was stationed on Okinawa back in 67 and the top has the vinyl look already from the mold.  I don't know why AMT didn't keep that look on all of the re-issues of this kit.  I built one a couple of years ago as the "Tin Indian" from Knafel Pontiac in Akron Ohio and the top in that kit was also smooth.  Which was Ok cause the rear car had no vinyl top. What did you use for the pieces under the hood?  Looks great.    Dan

Since you seem to want to do a nice job on this (you bought the Modelhaus front end), here's another thing to look at: The tips of the rear fenders. They're more squared off in shape, like a '64, rather than being slanted forward as they should be for a '65. This looks like an easy reshape fix with file and sandpaper, and should add a lot to the finished look of your model. Good luck with your project and do keep us posted!

Since you seem to want to do a nice job on this (you bought the Modelhaus front end), here's another thing to look at: The tips of the rear fenders. They're more squared off in shape, like a '64, rather than being slanted forward as they should be for a '65. This looks like an easy reshape fix with file and sandpaper, and should add a lot to the finished look of your model. Good luck with your project and do keep us posted!

Thanks for the tip Snake. I never noticed that. Too late to fix now though, paint's all done. I have a couple more copies of this kit so I'm thinking I'll do another one with more corrections and put this one up on e-bay as an experiment to see how it does.

Looks very nice so far,i'm guessing that you're using MCG detail set for the badges?what are going to use for door handles?

Quite right Curtis. MCG script. P,E. wipers too and I carefully cut away the door handles so I can alclad and reattach them.

Steve, this 65 GTO looks very nice. I think people overlook it because it is an ancient kit. A little work and it really shines.

Snake is on the money about the rear quarters. I think AMT left the '64 shape in place. Maybe another reason Pontiac dumped AMT and went to MPC for the 1966 GTO.

This kit originally had a vinyl roof hardtop, but sometime AMT made it smooth (maybe when it became a Modified Stocker?). I brush lacquer thinner over the roof to wrinkle the surface before I paint along with adding 2 thin Evergreen strips to delineate the 3 vinyl roof pieces.

Can't wait to see the other 2 65 GTOs.

Detail painted up a set of rally wheels and dug out a set of red lines to see how it would look. 

I haven't detailed out the interior or chassis plate yet, this is just a mockup to see how the wheels and tires would look.

IMG 1906

IMG 1907

Interior's all done. 
Simple Testors semigloss black with some flocking and detail paint. 

IMG 1909

IMG 1910

I was surprised to see that the entire shifter was chrome or stainless, no black.

Here's the scratch made part. A header panel between the radiator wall and grille. 
Just some sheet styrene and a bit of evergreen stripping. 

IMG 1913