Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint for plastic model!

Hello, I am new to plastic model kit. I am wondering, what is the producer to make a nice decent paint job to a plastic model? I've seen on Youtube people sand down the new plastic, then spray paint. I am new to this and am excited to start at the hobby! :D

Not really necessary to sand the whole body Suzy.

But you may want to sand off the "mold lines" and possibly fix any "sink marks" or any other imperfections in the body.

Make sure you use at least a coat or 2 of primer before painting too.

Many paints like Tamiya & many Testors paints are lacquer & will damage the plastic without a good primer base.

By the way, where in Minnesota are you.

I live in Rochester.

Steve

Not really necessary to sand the whole body Suzy.

But you may want to sand off the "mold lines" and possibly fix any "sink marks" or any other imperfections in the body.

Make sure you use at least a coat or 2 of primer before painting too.

Many paints like Tamiya & many Testors paints are lacquer & will damage the plastic without a good primer base.

By the way, where in Minnesota are you.

I live in Rochester.

Steve

I see, and as for paint, we're talking about Tamiya spray cans right? And i'm from St.Paul! Nice to meet you.

Suzy... All are good ideas for painting.  other things you can do it get some autobody(tack rags)they will take a lot of and dust off the body by lightly rubbing it down...there available at almost any auto parts store.  If you sand anything remember you do not need to use very rough sand paper sometimes it takes only a very light grit paper to remove mold lines from the body.  Another tip is to make sure your hands are free of oils and lotions while handling the body they can transfer to it and make the paint job bad in areas called(fish-eyes).  Take your time painting and try to spray the paint in a area where there is no wind or breeze if possible..it helps.  Good luck and welcome.

I see, and as for paint, we're talking about Tamiya spray cans right? And i'm from St.Paul! Nice to meet you.

Personally, I don't use Tamiya paints, but that's entirely up to you.

Testors lacquers are much more readily available & generally much cheaper.

You can pick up Testors paints at your local Hobby Lobby.

Might be a good place for you to start.

I use almost exclusively MCW paints with an airbrush myself, but that may be further down the road for you.

Good luck & don't be afraid to ask questions.

The people on the forum will be more than happy to offer any help that they can.

Steve

Personally, I don't use Tamiya paints, but that's entirely up to you.

Testors lacquers are much more readily available & generally much cheaper.

You can pick up Testors paints at your local Hobby Lobby.

Might be a good place for you to start.

I use almost exclusively MCW paints with an airbrush myself, but that may be further down the road for you.

Good luck & don't be afraid to ask questions.

The people on the forum will be more than happy to offer any help that they can.

Steve

Nice, i'll give it a try! Will regular spray paint for cars eat the plastic if used? Thanks sure will!

Nice, i'll give it a try! Will regular spray paint for cars eat the plastic if used? Thanks sure will!

If you use the right primer, paint for real cars can be used with little trouble. Duplicolor is the popular brand, and can be found at any car parts store. Some department stores also carry it. Duplicolor also makes a primer that is very model plastic friendly.

Suzy... All are good ideas for painting.  other things you can do it get some autobody(tack rags)they will take a lot of and dust off the body by lightly rubbing it down...there available at almost any auto parts store.  If you sand anything remember you do not need to use very rough sand paper sometimes it takes only a very light grit paper to remove mold lines from the body.  Another tip is to make sure your hands are free of oils and lotions while handling the body they can transfer to it and make the paint job bad in areas called(fish-eyes).  Take your time painting and try to spray the paint in a area where there is no wind or breeze if possible..it helps.  Good luck and welcome.

thank you for your advice!

If you use the right primer, paint for real cars can be used with little trouble. Duplicolor is the popular brand, and can be found at any car parts store. Some department stores also carry it. Duplicolor also makes a primer that is very model plastic friendly.

Sounds good! Is this the right primer? http://www.walmart.com/ip/48341703?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227035925324&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=57112021418&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=89244605138&veh=sem

Suzy,

You might want to paste that link into the post as a "link" or "copy & paste" a photo of the primer you're looking at into your post.

My guess is no one is going to type that huge link into their search box to look at it.

Just the way it generally works around here.

we're all pretty lazy people! :D

Steve

Suzy since your in the Twin Cities, you might want to check out the MCCM. The Model Car Club of Minneasota. We meet on the second Wednesday of each month at the Anoka County Library in Fridley. That's at 410 Mississippi Street, Fridley, MN. Meetings start at 6:30 pm. Several of us go to the local Perkins for dinner afterwards. Our club's motto is, "Build It, Bring It, Have Fun Doing Both!"

So our next meeting is this Wednesday, on the 9th. We do have a monthly themes. This month is Moebius builds. But, you can bring anything. I'm bringing my AMT Three Stooges '40 Ford sedan delivery. I'm hoping to have my Moebius '53 Hudson done by Wednesday's meeting. But, I'm not holding my breath on that.

As far as painting models, you'll learn a lot there from different builders. For years I had a lots of troubles with my paint jobs. I only use canned paint. I finally got it through my thick head to spend the extra money, and paint only with lacquer paints. And mainly with Tamiya. In the long run I save money, because I'm not having to strip off bad enamel paint jobs and repaint.

Check out our meetings. We have a lot of fun. And you may learn a thing or two also. Hope to see you there.

Suzy,

You might want to paste that link into the post as a "link" or "copy & paste" a photo of the primer you're looking at into your post.

My guess is no one is going to type that huge link into their search box to look at it.

Just the way it generally works around here.

we're all pretty lazy people! :D

Steve

right! Aha

Suzy since your in the Twin Cities, you might want to check out the MCCM. The Model Car Club of Minneasota. We meet on the second Wednesday of each month at the Anoka County Library in Fridley. That's at 410 Mississippi Street, Fridley, MN. Meetings start at 6:30 pm. Several of us go to the local Perkins for dinner afterwards. Our club's motto is, "Build It, Bring It, Have Fun Doing Both!"

So our next meeting is this Wednesday, on the 9th. We do have a monthly themes. This month is Moebius builds. But, you can bring anything. I'm bringing my AMT Three Stooges '40 Ford sedan delivery. I'm hoping to have my Moebius '53 Hudson done by Wednesday's meeting. But, I'm not holding my breath on that.

As far as painting models, you'll learn a lot there from different builders. For years I had a lots of troubles with my paint jobs. I only use canned paint. I finally got it through my thick head to spend the extra money, and paint only with lacquer paints. And mainly with Tamiya. In the long run I save money, because I'm not having to strip off bad enamel paint jobs and repaint.

Check out our meetings. We have a lot of fun. And you may learn a thing or two also. Hope to see you there.

thanks! Maybe i'll drop by in the future! Hopefully i'll have a good experience with paint jobs!

Duplicolor primer?

image.jpg

Yup, should work fine.

I usually use the "sandable" primer myself, but either should work.

As a matter of fact, I may give the "sealer" a try again in the future.

The Duplicolor sandable gray is very dark & there are times when a lighter gray would work better.

You can use the Duplicolor primer regardless of what brand of paint you will be using.

Word of caution though, Duplicolor primers are "hotter" than hobby primers & can "craze" the plastic if applied too heavily on the first couple of coats.

So light coats for the first couple are a good idea.

Steve

Again, I hope you try out a meeting or two. Back to paint. I prefer using paint specifically designed for our hobby. In the case of primer, I love Tamiya's White Fine Surface Primer. It can be picked up for a fairly reasonable price at Hobby Lobby. Now if Hobby Lobby would start carrying other Tamiya paint, I'd be in heaven.