Model Cars Magazine Forum

37 Ford Street Rod...WIP !

Lowlife ! !

A few years back I built a slant back 37, very nice kits with great detail as standard... It was almost finished, from the purple nail varnish anodizing, to the hand painted body graphics......then I trod on it by accident. Here's a couple of pics.......

03042012763.jpg

19072012990.jpg

010820121003_zpscfcb7d95.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !

I always thought if I redone the 37 I would build so many little bits of it better. I want to try to stretch my limited modelling talents and see if I can design a few new parts, maybe add a few more scratchbuilt items, that sort of thing !  Decided on the wheels, think these are from a large pick up if I remember correctly....

004_zps16t8wvm0.jpg

And ive built the basic frame, and engine block. Front springs are removed, ready for scratchbuilt ones, and ive spent a bit of time rubbing down, prepairing each part ready for paint.  The old smoothed firewall was reprimered and rubbed down, and the gas tank was removed ( for painting ) and a top added to make it a box ! This was smoothed too and will be added later. 

005_zpscqasyiug.jpg

More soon .........  Lowlife ! !

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Ray, Andy and Dan, thanks guys !

For those who missed the original build, just wanted to point out a couple of bits that were done before. Under the floor was smoothed out, this is going to be re-primered and smoothed again. Here's a comparison with the original.

Also the smooth version (you get a ribbed version too! ) of the running boards was blended into the fender assembly.

And lastly, a little suggestion for the 37 kit ! The panel below the boot, that joins the rear fenders, comes moulded to the body. This can leave a gap when assembled, so I cut this panel off and blended it to the fender assembly. You can see in the pic it makes a cleaner join !

Thanks Mitch,  had to go dig some pics out of this, it was done a few years back now !  Quite simple, hope your not disappointed now !!  :)

Basically after a white basecoat, I added yellow enamel splodges with a piece of kitchen paper.......

17072012982.jpg

Once this was dry the flame effect was hand painted with a brush in enamels. Just made it up as I went along.......

19072012990.jpg

19072012993.jpg

Never did get to clear coat it, but I like trying weird n` wonderful paint jobs, some work, some don't ! At least you can usually get rid of the paint and start again ! !

Edited by Lowlife ! !

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mitch, and good luck with the paintjob !

Bit of a break as I lost a brake disc, but it turned up in the hoover so I can carry on....:D

Chassis and suspension parts are sprayed black and the rear end is coming together now. Instead of building the IRS as one unit I'm adding each piece to the chassis so it acts like a jig to keep it all straight. Got the discs in place and rear wheels on too. Need to add shocks yet and run the brake lines along the chassis rails, more soon and thanks for looking in.....

20160411_102420_zpswzvzm22y.jpg

20160412_161133_zpsx1xfi78u.jpg

20160412_161158_zpsg9d9jnkt.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Thanks JD, and Mike, thanks but Im changing the paint. Yes it was going to be clear coated but after destroying the front chassis it got put back in the box. I'm using the convertible body and the fenders will be smoothed on top and underneath then primed. Got an idea for colour just not sure about adding any graphics yet....

Rear shocks were a pain to make, I decided to make hydraulics instead as this will be quite low. New scratch built rams are adjustable and just need hydraulic lines added. That's the rear end done for now, quick mock up of the front end too (sorry, bit blurry! ) , more rams to make now !   For comparison heres the standard one with my new ones........

20160417_211737_zpse7scw1tr.jpg

20160421_125630_zpsuejosibn.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !